Pretending

(this is very long and hella emotional, prepare yourself, I am sorry in advance for breaking all your hearts)

El knew that there was the possibility of Papa being out there after Hopper had explained to her about multiple sightings around the outskirts of Hawkins. She felt sick with fear and had been constantly watching out of the cabin window, terrified that he would simply come walking up the path to take her back to the lab.

"You know I won't let anything happen to you, right?" Mike had wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her head as they both stared out of the window. He leaned down and kissed her cheek softly as she cuddled into him further, sighing gently.

"I know" she murmured quietly.

"I love you" he whispered in a croaky voice and El froze. Hopper had explained to her about the different kinds of love but Mike had never told her before, he had never came out and said the words.

Mike ignored the twisted feeling in his gut as El continued staring out the window, not replying. He gave her a kiss on the forehead that night, smiling brightly at her to try and mask the pain he was feeling.

She never said it back.

But Mike was wrong, he couldn't always be there to protect her.

El was waiting for Mike outside of the school, watching him through the glass window that led to the hallway. She bobbed her head patiently, watching him say goodbye to his teacher, probably asking about the homework. She had not expected the fear to come creeping up her throat as she felt a presence behind her. She didn't turn around quickly enough and a large hand covered her mouth before she could scream.

She didn't have to turn to know who was approaching her quietly, making sure the car park was empty. Two men held her hands behind her back as she held her ground, refusing to make a sound as they continued to cover her mouth so that she couldn't call for help.

"Don't even think about making a sound, Eleven" Papa murmured to her gently, kneeling down to her height slightly. She refused to look at him, keeping her eyes on Mike. "It is so nice to see you, oh, how I have missed you."

He stroked her cheek and El clenched her eyes shut, a tear rolling down her face gently. She looked back at Mike who was pointing to something in a textbook, using hand gestures as he explained some theory to their teacher. She prayed for him to turn, for him to notice, but Papa continued on.

"Don't worry, we aren't stupid enough to take you back home when others could be watching..." Papa cooed softly making El whimper behind the hands. "But you'll be coming home soon enough and we can finish what we started. I can see how much stronger your powers have gotten...we have so much to try out..to make history."

El started to struggle, glaring at him and trying to bite the hand around her throat that was covering her mouth. Her body squeezed in pain at the strain she was putting on herself as she tried to break free.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Here's a tip...don't make me angry, Eleven. Or I could have a little fun with something that you care about."

He forced her head back to the window so that she was watching Mike.

"You two have become very close...would be a shame if something had to happen to him. But you won't make me angry will you, Eleven? You will stay away from that boy, won't you? For your Papa?"

El nodded vigorously, whimpers escaping her trapped lips muffled against the hands, begging for him to make sure Mike would not be harmed.

The corner of Brenner's lips turned up into a twisted smile. "Good. That's good. If I see you with him, you might not like what would happen. So I would stay away, and do not worry, Eleven...your Papa will be coming to bring you home soon."