Breaking The Rules

(Just a short little one! Hope you guys had an amazing Christmas and continue to have a great holiday season! Leave a comment about what you think of this chapter, it means the world to me!)

El opened the door with a soft smile, instantly releasing a gentle giggle as she ran into Mike's arms. He chuckled, stroking her hair and hugging her back tightly, sighing softly at the relief of being so close to her. He opened his eyes and scanned her baby pink knee-length skirt and her soft white sweater, his smile growing. 

"You look adorable" he grinned and a light blush coated her cheek. 

"I missed you" she mumbled shyly, taking hold of his clammy hand. He sighed happily, squeezing her hand back in return. 

"I missed you too, El. You excited to go?" he asked and she instantly nodded eagerly, a huge smile taking over her face. 

"Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...wait a second there, Wheeler" a gruff voice came from inside that made Mike roll his eyes. The burly man stepped out of the cabin slowly, narrowing his eyes at Mike who gulped nervously. No matter how excited he was for their date, he would always be terrified of Hopper, who was not only a police chief with a gun always in his pocket, but he also happened to be Mike's future father in-law. 

"H-Hi" Mike mumbled under his breath with a huff. El held back a laugh and nudged her Dad gently, signalling for him to be nicer. 

"Before you two walk off into the sunset, we need to discuss some rules" Hopper crossed his arms over his chest and El pouted slightly, growing annoyed. All she wanted to do was to spend some time with her favorite person, and to not have to worry about all of the stupid rules for one single night. 

"Rules?" she whined impatiently, hanging onto Mike's hand. 

Mike sighed, wiping his face before looking at the chief with tired eyes that held no amusement. "Go on..."

Hopper nodded once, counting the rules on his fingers using a slow and condescending voice that made El annoyed. "Okay. One, no kissing." Mike scoffed under his breath and let out a deep sigh. "Two, no talking to strangers whatsoever. Three, you have to bring her back by 9:30 sharp. That leaves you twenty minutes to get home after the movie has ended, okay?" 

"Yes, sir" Mike sighed but as soon as the chief turned away he rolled his eyes. His gaze then switched to El, his smile instantly reappearing. "Ready to go, El?"

She nodded and the two of them left the cabin with Hopper watching them closely, smoking out on the porch as they held hands down the wooded path to Mike's bike. 

"Remember those rules, Wheeler!" he yelled and Mike just sent him a thumbs up, nudging El who was giggling under her breath. 

...

El could not stop smiling throughout the entire date, whether the movie made her happy or whether it was something dorky and adorable that Mike did. She was having the best time, not having to worry about anything other than making sure that Mike was happy too, which he most certainly was. 

She felt normal for the first time in a long time. 

The first rule had been broken as soon as they were out of Hopper's sight, with El reaching up and pressing a long kiss onto his soft lips. He had been shocked but melted into the kiss instantly, glad that she was as eager to break the rules as he was. El knew that underneath everything, Hopper actually liked Mike and trusted him with his daughter more than he did with most people. But she also knew that he loved to tease the pair, always interrupting their intimate moments and making sure to scare Mike into staying obedient.