Surprises

I didn't realise that I had slept through my 14th birthday, a sad thing really, but at least I'm awake for my 15th.

Nobody knows it's my birthday of course, why would they? But I don't mind, I don't particularly appreciate being the centre of attention anyway.

So far it's been a bit boring, it's 6am and I woke up at 3am for my usual morning flight, to find Sam and Katerina sleeping in sleeping bags on the bare wooden floor.

I left the hospital late last night. I was happily discharged, but Sam and Kat insisted on still staying with me at night. It's very kind of them, but not at all comforting. I feel like I'm going to suddenly jump back into the coma phase. I want to forget about the endless nights of black hell I experienced and their constant protective presence is forever reminding me.

I haven't gone on my usual flying trip yet, I decided that no matter how annoying they are, they mean well and I can't just leave them, otherwise they'll wake up, see I'm not there and become worried sick. I couldn't very well wake them up either, they were up all night until I went to sleep and I don't know when they finally fell drowsy, they had probably only been asleep for an hour.

I used to hate getting up at 6am, but I'm glad now that every other Tuesday starts early, it's means I don't have to wait any longer for them to wake up.

I watch Sam stretching out and Katerina yawning. They have some sort of way in which their brain wakes them up on time every day, where as mine just thinks, 'sleep, sleep, sleep some more'. In fact, Katerina would usually have to roll me out of the bed on my duvet, pull the duvet from under me and then splash a bucket of ice water on my face and down my back, or I wouldn't wake up!

"Alright, come on then, we have to go," Katerina says, yanking on her denim jeans and collared white t-shirt.

I watch as she snatches a pair of lace up brown trainers, before turning to see what Sam was dressing in. He had chosen a green shirt and black trousers, with a black coat, complete by trainers.

I usually waited until Katerina was dressed so I would know what to wear so that I would fit in.

I swing my legs down from the bed and jump up, switching a short, laced, black top and black leggings with slippers, for a brown leather jacket, a pair of dark blue converses, a plain collared black t-shirt and brown trousers.

Nodding to each other, we all walk towards the hallway and stride through the now-open door.

----------------------------------------------

I was hoping to have a distracting day at school, but when we arrived, I was sent back to the dormitory. Katerina and Sam wanted to come with me, but one of the X-men came to look after me instead.

Right now I'm sitting at my desk, researching how to improve your powers. I look behind me at the tall boy with dark red glasses and short brown hair. I don't know his real name, the other X-men do, but I'm not one of them yet. His code name is Cyclops, like mine is Raven. I need to get rid of him, but the X-men are all much clever than us. Of course, there is one way to get rid of him...

Cyclops is one of the youngest X-men, he's 18, like me. He is every bit as clever as the older X-men, but everyone has a weakness.

"Hey, Cyclops..." I begin, "first of all, what's your name-as in your birth name, not your codename?"

He's ignoring me me. He doesn't want to get pulled into a trap. So I'll just come right out with it then.

"You know Jean was looking for you earlier," that made his head snap up.

"Really, what did she say?" He starts eagerly, "I mean, uh..."

I cut him off, laughing, "she said she wanted to meet up outside your dorm at 2.45pm today and, well don't tell her I told you, but that she thought you were cute, so she was going to try only once to ask you out and if you weren't there she wouldn't try again".

It's not a complete lie, Jane did tell me she thought he was cute and she always walks past his dorm to get back here, so she would be there. Besides, even if she wasn't, Cyclops' dorm is in the other building and I will be gone before he gets back.

I watch Cyclops, as he nods casually and turns to face the hallway. Then, taking a peak at me to check I'm not looking(I'm watching from the corner of my eye), he's walking slowly outside. A quickening pad of footsteps starts up, before silence falls and I know he has gone.

Now is my chance. I have to get out before Katerina and Sam come back and trap me in here. I'm not going to leave the school, I'll just go outside for a few hours to stretch my wings. I'll stay in sight of the school so they won't worry. I feel guilty for leaving them, but they won't leave me alone or even let me fly. I want to feel the wind on my feathers, feel the wonderful jolt I my stomach as I ascend the sky. It's been ages since I have flown, what with being in a coma and all. And my 18th birthday seems like a good day to reopen my wings and take a breath-taking trip to the sky.