Part 12: Liam

As they approached the Duffy & Norman frigate Liam caught a glimpse of The ECS Utica.  It was a sleek ship with forward mounted energy cannons and shield disruptors on its underbelly.  It was a ship killer, designed for no other purpose.  Liam hoped the warship waited on the frigates aft as an intimidation tactic, because the civilian ship wouldn't survive more than a few minutes in a fight.  Knowing he wasn't the target should have calmed him, but he still felt on edge as the shuttle settled in the docking bay.

The Jacks opened the shuttle, and were met by a squad of EC soldiers, armed and cold-eyed.  Liam studied them: three lightly armored men armed with kinetic pistols, and a single heavily armored cyborg.  He was taken aback by the sight.  War Jammers, as the regular rank and file dubbed them, were rarely seen off the battlefield.  They were seasoned warriors, equal parts human and machine.  The highest grade S.Nano ran through their veins.

"This isn't making much sense," Liam whispered.

"Mr. Duffy, we have been ordered to escort you directly to Special Agent Brown," the war jammer announced.  Her voice was punctuated by the drone of voice modulators.

The Jacks turned to Kent, their hands lingering by the stun batons on their hips.  They're loyalty was clear.  There was something in their eyes that told Liam it was beyond years of clone indoctrination.  Kent Duffy treated his people right, earning their respect.  The war jammer's face registered the same.

"Stand down."

The flexmetal of her arm rolled back, revealing mechanical components which combined into a double-barreled energy cannon.  Targeting dots appeared over The Jacks' hearts and heads.  The identical clones showed no sign of backing down.  2416 put himself between Kent and the EC soldiers.  The tension was palpable.

"Kent, if your people don't comply, she will kill them."

The look on Kent's face was one of fear and uncertainty.  Liam gave him a reassuring nod.  He glanced at Taylor-06 and the look she gave him was devoid of the warmth which had always accompanied her stare.  It was a puzzle he didn't have the time to solve.

"Stand down," Kent said, visibly collecting himself.  "I'm not sure what this has to do with an audit, but my company will cooperate."

The war jammer's arm reverted back to its normal state, and the EC soldiers relaxed.  One of the men gestured to Kent.

"Right this way, Mr. Duffy."

Kent, Liam, Taylor-06, 2416, and The Jacks followed, the soldiers taking up position around them.  The group left the docking bay, and took the nearest staircase up three levels.  Liam noted the atmosphere on the ship had changed.  Four-man squads of soldiers patrolled the ship.  Most seemed to focus on herding the ship crew and passengers to open areas where they could more easily be guarded, but some stood watch as techs rifled through digital files and computer records.  The EC was looking for something.

They were passing a large conference room when Kent stopped short.

"What's happening here?" he asked as he broke away from their escort and stepped into the room.

A handful of his staff were sitting around the long table, speaking in whispered tones, while three dozen clones stood in rows against the wall.  Their hands were held high, their faces forward.  Relief was evident on their face as their boss entered the room.

A sergeant intercepted Kent halfway across the room.

"Sir, I need you to stop where you are."

"Answer my question.  What's happening here?"