Part 10: Liam

A mass of display monitors lashed together with cables and adhesive strips rose out of the rubble of ship debris supported by the skeleton of a makeshift chassis.  Liam pushed Kent behind cover and put himself between Taylor-06 and the creaking monstrosity.  At some point he'd drawn his pistol.  He made to set the weapon to fire high grade rounds, but the controls he sought were inexplicably missing.  His custom Embrine side arm, capable of switching yields without calibration, was back on the barge with the shuttle.  As the machine rose to its twelve foot height Liam swore.  With his backup gun he could only hope to shoot out some of the screens.

"Whoa there, soldier.  That was clearly a gun in your pocket, so I'll assume you're not happy to see me," said the hulking construct.  The voice sounded vaguely familiar, but the distorted audio speakers made it hard to tell

"Singapore, is that you?" Taylor-06 asked.  She placed a restraining hand on Liam's shoulder.

He glanced back, and then looked up at the blank screens.  They powered on, one by one, until they created one giant Low-Face.  With a face to go with the voice Liam's recollection was swift.  He lowered his gun, but didn't put it away.

"Last time I saw you, mister, you were inside of me."

Despite himself, Liam smiled.  He loved a good double entendre.

"That was a few years ago.  Looks like you slimmed down since then."

The Core AI chuckled, and raised a barrel-sized makeshift hand.  She wagged fingers made of crudely hammered structural beams.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop."  She turned to Kent who was dusting himself off.  "Master Duffy, to what do I owe the honor?"

"Singapore, I've asked you not to call me that.  I'm no one's master."

"According to the tracking data running through what's left of my ship, I am the property of Duffy & Norman Reclamation."

"That was necessary during the purchase of your wreckage, Singapore.  I've told you this before."

"Well keep saying it, and eventually I'll believe you."  She placed her hand on her hip, rolled her eyes and pouted.  "Since this is only the second time you've come to see me in 1460 standard days, I'm guessing this isn't a social visit."

"You're right, and I'm sorry I haven't visited more often.  I know what it means to be lonely."  Kent looked down at his feet.  "Mr. Theraphosa needs your help."

Singapore erupted in laughter which echoed across the island.  A flock of the metal munching raptors took to the sky, spooked by her sultry chortle.

"Theraphosa.  As in the genus of massive hairy spiders?  Very clever, handsome."  The massive half-built construct leaned forward.  "What can I do for you?"

Her suggestive tone made him hesitate.  Liam had never had a problem with constructs.  To him they were just another type of combatant with their own strengths and weaknesses.  He'd never thought of them as people until he'd met Taylor-06.  Now he had the distinct feeling that Singapore was undressing him with her digital eyes.  For Liam, the last couple of years were strange ones.

"Renegade needs your help, it's a matter of life and death."

Singapore's expression turned serious.  She leaned back and stood at her full height.  Gone was the posturing of a temptress, and she was suddenly all business.

"Why didn't you say so?  What does she need?  My considerable data processing and minimum construction capabilities are at her disposal."

"Construction?  I've never heard of an Imp class transport with a machine shop."