Part 4: Taylor-06

"It's Grid 4-Y, right on the outskirts of EC space."

"That's the problem, Liam.  The Third Fleet is stationed in 4-Z.  That's a five hour jump.  Five hours to run the entire operation!  If everyone was military trained and we spent weeks drilling, we'd still be hard pressed to pull this off.  This can't be a smash & grab kind of mission."

"I know that, Patricia."  Liam took a deep breath.  "With proper intel, I think we can pull this off."

"Need I remind you it's an EC black ops site.  These won't be Pale Garden troopers you can just shoot.  These will be Earth Conglomerate soldiers, with lives and families.  It adds a whole new level of complexity to the equation."

"I'm aware of the added risk."

"Then why are you t-"

"BECAUSE HE'S OBSESSED!"

Taylor-06 looked up from the lab counter where she was prepping beakers and test tubes.  Scott was glaring across the room at Patricia and Liam.  The two were analyzing data on their datapads.  He, on the other hand, sat on his infirmary bed brooding.  Dr. Ho had confined him to the infirmary after he was caught sneaking into the station gym for the second time.  The restrictions on his movement did nothing to improve his mood.

"I'm not obsessed."  Liam stood up and stretched.  "We found a list of twenty Earth Conglomerate government projects on that Pale Garden database.  This is the only project site we can find that isn't deep in the heart of EC space."

"Liam, I'm not one of the fools you've been bossing around on this tub.  You don't care which site we hit, you just want the Pale Garden to react."

"We need them to react.  The point of this is to gauge how they handle our interference and to determine their connection to these government programs."

"Did he say, say, say programs?" asked Thing 1.

"I believe he did, did, did!" responded Thing 2.

The two constructs rose out of their alcove beside the supply cabinet, and trotted over to Liam's side.  They were five foot tall series 2s, metal chassis with humanoid chrome heads.  The numbers 1 and 2 had been stenciled on their chest plates.

"Did, did, did you need our assistance, operator?"

"We're here to help!"

"Pepper, why are they here?" Scott groaned.  He never seemed to like them.

"I'm working on my software integration drive."

"I thought you were here to take a blood sample."

"I'm here to do that too.  I'm sure you've heard of multitasking, Scooter."

"Don't call me that," he growled.  "Dr. Ho said I could leave once you took your blood.  I've waited patiently for you to poke and prod me like everyone's been doing for the last two days, but no.  Shorty over here walks in and the two of you decide to have an impromptu strategy session.  Now you have these damned robots dancing around.  IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!"

A knock brought everyone's attention to the transparent wall separating Scott's room from the rest of the infirmary.  Dr. Rodriguez waved and gestured towards the uncomfortable faces around him.  Scott made a gesture of his own, one inappropriate and rude.  The doctor shook his head and went back to tending his patients.  He'd already voiced his eagerness to get Scott out of his work space.

"Are you done making a scene?"  Patricia tapped her datapad and the transparent walls grew opaque, providing a bit of privacy.  "Thing 1, Thing 2, and Taylor-06 are going to be assisting me.  If things work out they can help the infirmary staff during critical medical situations."