Chapter Eighty Two.

Start from the beginning

"We don't have class, it's our free period," Aubry mumbled, and she still held some animosity toward the man after being kicked off the lacrosse team. He knew of her stubbornness well.

"Then get to the cafeteria, you can't leave until school is out."

"That's dumb and a waste of time."

"I've watched you two sneak out together every day this week," he spoke, and his eyes locked directly on Harry because he knew he was the only one with some level of shame. "I know what you're doing, get to the cafeteria."

"We're getting Mexican food," Harry muttered, though he dropped the uncomfortable eye contact.

"Sure you are." He sounded condescending. Harry's shoulder was grabbed and he was guided to turn around, away from the door, away from Aubry, and away from her bad influence. "Told you, no horny boys allowed. Cafeteria."

Harry sighed, his eyes locked onto Aubry's, and he was slightly disappointed when he saw her give in. Mostly because it was more in her character to put up a fight to get her way than it was to back down, and Harry was too timid to ever argue the way she did. He hoped for her to have the bravery he lacked, but she wordlessly turned on her heel and headed off in the direction they'd come from. She lead several feet ahead of Harry before he decided to follow and leave Mr. Davis behind, Aubry's footsteps loud down the hall when the man disappeared out of sight. She kept walking, the gymnasium drew further away, empty classrooms no one ever used were hidden behind closed doors, and the end of the hallway grew farther.

It was sudden when she stopped in the dead center of the hall, her voice quiet when she uttered, "Wait."

Harry stopped. He watched her face while her eyes flitted from side to side, pausing to listen for the lack of noise. Her shoes scuffled when she took steps back, creeping closer and closer toward the opening of the hall. Past Harry, past unused lockers, and she sneakily glanced back in the direction of the gym. He watched and waited from his spot, Aubry slowly inching across the linoleum, and she stopped. She waited and stared in silence, and it seemed like minutes passed before she turned around with her index finger held over her lips and she waved her hand to beacon him to follow.

He walked as softly as he could, and he followed her stealthy lead back through the atrium and to the doors that swung open loudly no matter how gentle her hands tried to be. The metal clambered, and Harry's blood rushed with adrenaline as he stepped into the summer sun and followed Aubry's running legs down the steps and as far away from the scene as they possibly could. Feet pounding on the pavement, bubbling laughter loud in the open air, they ran alongside one another out to the parking lot and left school in the dust.

Exuberant smiles didn't fall even after climbing into the stuffy hot confines of Aubry's car, and they continued to giggle about it over a shared plate of loaded nachos that Aubry doused with way, way too much sriracha sauce and Harry struggled to eat more than a few bites before his mouth was burning. He gulped down his water, and his cheeks held onto a tinge of pink from the heat.

"Weakling," Aubry muttered.

"Listen, I like spicy things too, but relax."

Her shoulders raised carelessly, and he didn't miss the way she danced in her seat when she took another bite. "I love it. The more it hurts, the better."

"You're a masochist." He picked at a tortilla chip from the bottom of the plate, where the spiciness hadn't yet managed to singe yet. He ate the bland chip with hardly any toppings, because the rest of the plate was soiled, and watched her dance as she chewed. Perhaps it was the unnecessary heat wriggling out of her body. "You are going to have the fieriest shits later."