Chapter 58 - Memories Can Kill You

Start from the beginning

"Put down the gun." He continues, taking another step towards us.

"No." and the bullet soars through the air. A short distance, hitting skin and ripping it open so it can enter and kill. The blood sprays all over the front of me, and I scream as I watch him fall to the ground.

"No, no. Please, no." I crawl to my grandfather, pressing down on the bullet wound to try and stop the bleeding. Straight into his heart. A perfect and deadly shot.

"You monster!" my mother screams, crying uncontrollably as she kneels next to her dying father.

The front door breaks off its hinges as a swat team files in.

"Put your hands where I can see them!" the lead guy screams at Daniel. And surprisingly, he drops the gun and surrenders.

Everything else is a blur. Paramedics are called and take away my Abuelo. Daniel gets put in handcuffs. My mum sits there, crying. She eventually holds me to her chest as she silently rocks back and forth. But it's like I'm not there. Like I'm numb, and time is both slow and fast at the same time.

Sauli's POV:

I race upstairs, screams being heard from Darcy's room.

"Darcy? Darc?" I push open her door and see her on her knees, clutching at her head with her eyes closed. She lets out non-stop blood curdling screams.

I kneel down in front of her and unsuccessfully try to pry her hands away from her head. Her nails digging so deep that she starts to cut into flesh.

She continues to scream, no matter what I say or do.

"Darcy, calm down sweetie. Come on, Darc. Open your eyes, I'm right here." I shake her lightly, but she still screams.

I finally pull her hands away from her head and pull her to my chest. I hold her tight as she screams into my shirt, the muffled sound still reaching my ears.

"Darciarna, open your eyes. Come on baby girl, stop screaming. You're safe." I repeat a few times, trying to get her to calm down.

And after a good five or six minutes, she does. She stops screaming, and her eyes flutter open. But when they do, she pushes me away and looks down at her clothes as if they were covered in something. She inspects her hands as well and looks up at me with wide and terrified eyes. I don't think I've ever seen her this scared, and that's really saying something.

"What is it?" I ask her curiously.

She runs into her bathroom and grabs a cloth, wetting it and starts to scrub at every inch of her body that isn't covered in clothing. Her arms and hands become red and raw.

"Darcy, Darcy. Hey, what are you doing?" I pull the material away from her hands and throw it in the sink.

"I have to get the blood off. It's everywhere. It's everywhere." She starts to scratch at her skin, trying to get it off that way. But she's clean. Nothing is on her.

"There's nothing there." I try to explain, holding her hands in mine so she doesn't hurt herself any more than she already has.

"It's everywhere. It's everywhere." She continues to repeat. It's like she's had a mental break. Like her mind has snapped completely.

"No it's not." I try to calm her down.

"Everywhere. It's everywhere. He's dead. It's everywhere." She stares into space, looking at everything and nothing.

"Who? Who's dead, Darcy?" I try to get her to look at me, but she seems to look straight through me.

"He's dead. He's dead." I pick her up bridal style and sit her down on her bed.