Belonging

Grian had spent the last couple of days editing his base. The giant tower off the coast of the mainland was definitely missing something. He just wasn't sure what, exactly. 

He had tried adding stripes to the pillars surrounding his central tower, but it didn't look quite right. He had tried adding that undersea wall he had thought about, but decided it was better without one. It seemed no matter what he did, it just wasn't right. 

On top of the Statue of Hermitty, the blonde builder looked over at his base, his bangs covering his eyes slightly. "What am I missing...?" he muttered to himself angrily. 

Maybe he just needed some time away. Making sure his elytra was secure, he flew off, scanning around the rest of the mainland for something, anything, to give him some inspiration. 

Just flying along the coast, he could see some of the others builds. There was False's medieval style castle, Ren's Grand Central Station, Cleo's pirate ship (and the ghost ship made by Impulse, Doc and Ren as well), Scars volcano lair, all the way to the Mumball and the floating city around it. 

All of his friends were so much better at building than he was...

Grian shook the thought away. This was why he had to do this. He was the newest person on the server. He had to prove he belonged here. That it wasn't a mistake.

But what if it was?  The voice continued. What if you don't belong here? 

"No, I belong... just because I'm stuck right now doesn't mean anything..." he told himself.

It's been seven months since you got here, and you haven't even finished your base yet! How pathetic is that? His thoughts pointed out. 

"Just shut up! Shut up!" He yelled at the voice. "I do belong... I'll finish the build... I'll prove that I belong here..." He said trailing off. 

He hadn't realized he had turned around and flown all the way back to his base. Grian flew through to the storage room, accidentally toppling into some of the chests he had. Stifling a groan of annoyance, he began to clean up the spilled miscellaneous items, the word stupid flying around through his head over and over and over again.

The sound of another rocket shook Grian out of his stupor. He looked at the entrance and saw a certain mustachioed friend of his looking at him.

"What exactly is so stupid?" Mumbo asked, and Grian realized he had been saying it aloud.

The blonde man shook his head. "Nevermind that. Is there something that you need?" He asked, trying to shift the attention away from himself.

Mumbo frowned at him. "I was just wondering why exactly you flew so close to my base only to turn around and go home again." He commented. 

"I needed some fresh air I guess." Grian told him.

"You've been keeping away from everyone for quite a while now." The redstone master pointed out.

"I've been busy." he said, shrugging it off.

"When's the last time you've actually slept, Grian?" Mumbo prodded.

"Don't remember." Grian replied nonchalantly.

"Last time you've eaten?" Mumbo continued.

"A day or two ago? Why does any of that matter, Mumbo?" The builder shot back, his eyes meeting his friend's dark orbs with a steady gaze.

Mumbo sighed and nodded his head. "You've been overworking yourself. I figured that might be the case." The raven-haired man said.

Grian laughed at this. "No, if anything I've been underproductive. It's been seven months and my base still isn't finished." He pointed out. "I've been trying to work it out." 

"At the price of your health?" Mumbo asked, his eyes narrowing. "Finishing a project isn't worth that!" 

Grian froze at that. His thoughts began to creep up on him again, spinning around in his head until his vision started to blur. The blonde blinked a few times, his eyes filling with tears he wouldn't let himself shed.

God, you can't do anything right, can you? What good are you? Why they chose you and not an actually decent builder, I'm not sure.

"I do belong here..." He muttered to himself irritably.

Mumbo heard it, and realization struck him. "Is that why?" He asked. Grian didn't respond. 

The raven-haired redstone expert embraced his friend in a hug. Nothing more was said, but the message was clear. Grian felt himself melt into the taller man's arms.

"You do belong." He heard Mumbo murmur quietly, comfortingly. "You do belong."

________________________________________________________________________________

So this is what happens when I just spill my thoughts on a page. I wasn't sure where I was going with this, but here he are.

Hope you enjoyed.

-Aquatic