Chapter 34: For Whom The Wolf Howls

I was in such shock from his words that I stumbled back toward the door and nearly fell to the floor.
This was all just too much.
"Janine?" When I had glanced up his features held a soft expression and it made me more terrified of him than I ever had been before.
"Y-your soul mate reincarnated?" Master nodded and stood, making his way to my shaking form and wrapped me in his arms protectively.
"Soon Janine I will try to awaken her within you or even make you mine. You'll see this time that I will have you for all eternity and keep you from those wolves."

I dared not move but as I couldn't stand his power this up and close, I struggled to remove myself from his grasp. I did not want this. This was not planned.

"Master, please let me go. I am not this girl that you think I am. I am not your soul mate incarnate. I am just Janine. I am but a simple werewolf turned vampire. I know you may have known this girl but I am not her." His face drew back but he did not release his hold. The light in his eyes that was hopeful had dimmed but whatever he saw in mine made him release me and allow for me to leave his room in a rush.

Once in my room I knew that I needed to convey Master's plans to James. He had to know that Master was going to keep me for his own and turn me into someone else. I was going to lose my mate because of Master's delusions of someone I may have been in a past life.

"I can't be his. I can't be. This isn't happening." I was careful to keep my voice low and started to gather my things in a rush. I wanted to leave. Get out of here so fast that none of my brothers would be able to catch me. I would not become some vampire master's little pet more than I already have been. He wants not just my loyalty but also me. He wants my soul, mind, and to put the spirit of the woman he once knew into my body to make me someone I am not. 

Rationality kicked in at that moment and I thought on it for a moment. That for James and I to do as we needed to do that I would have to endure the torture of being under master's control. If I backed out now it would only put a target on James's back and the backs of his pack; my pack. I needed to keep them safe more than anything. I was going to be their Alpha female. I would lead them by James's side.

But this will not be if master decides to try and change who I am before the full moon. Before All Hallows Eve. I want to be with my werewolf mate but at this rate that won't be happening. I climbed into my dark outfit topped with a pair of sunglasses and an umbrella for good measure and prepared myself to leave the house for a few minutes. When I opened my door, the male that had been guarding it before looked down on me with a look of irritation. He looked exhausted.

"What do you think you are doing?" I went to move past him but he blocked my way. Giving him a glare, I went to move to the other side of him but he just shuffled to block me again. With a huff I said,

"I'm going for a walk. Good grief." He shook his head.

"Master has given me orders that you are not to leave this room unless he says so." A chill set into my bones and I wanted to scream in frustration. I felt like a caged animal with no way out.

"Let me pass," I demanded and used a bit of my compulsion to hopefully get him to move. Anger replaced the irritation that had been there. Sometimes I had to remind myself that the strength of a vampire comes with age and time. He was many years older than I was so trying to compulse him was asking for a fight.

"You have many years to go before you try that on me." He forcefully pushed me back and slammed the door shut, a lock being slid into place as I went to try and bust the door down. No such luck as it seemed impassable. And what's more, I could feel a spell being put on the door to make sure that I will never get out unless the spell caster drops it or dies.

I pulled a phone out of my pocket that James had given me secretly to contact him with and texted with the speed of a vampire, Plans have changed. Holding me captive. Can't leave. 

I felt useless like a princess being guarded by a dragon in an abandoned castle waiting for the knight to appear and whisk me away. I was never one to be the damsel but sometimes fate has other plans.

I could feel the sun outside still high in the sky as it was very clear today unlike the past few days. I couldn't make an escape out that way and I was not going to get through the door or house at all. Not without any of my vampire brothers stopping me.

I had to come up with a plan and fast. There had to be a way for me to escape and get back to the wolves.

For a moment I allowed myself a small grin. The irony that I had tried to avoid the wolves for so long and now I wanted their protection.

The world, has it truly gone to shit?

----Dusk----

Only a few days were left to get the plan into action and I could not leave my room. Not only was the blood within me going crazy seeing as how I had James' blood and Master's within me, both waring and telling me to be one or the other.

Meanwhile, only blood bags had been brought to my room, two of my blood brothers always at the door to deliver them. Probably to make sure I didn't run. Which was the first plan that had come to mind. Knock out the one who delivered my food then run. No sooner than the thought had come to mind than two started to appear at a time.

As I drank from the last of my bags, a new thought occurred to me. When I drank from Logan I was able to be in his mind for a few days before his blood was out of my system. What Master and I had was much stronger and he always reinforced the blood bond between us by drinking from me. Was he able to see through my eyes at all that I was doing as well? And if so, just how much of my encounter with Adam and Ben, with the wolves, my thoughts on escaping and going back to James; How much did he know?

I needed to hold back from now on to see if I was correct. But if his blood was in my body then could I enter his mind too? He is many hundreds of years older than me and could probably tell when I would be there in his head.

Refueled and rested, however little sleep I had actually gotten, I sat on my bed and steadied myself. I drew the image of Master in my head, focusing on his blood within me I willed my mind to go into his.

Instead of seeing through Master's eyes, I was pulled into a memory of a woman dancing in a Victorian style dress, her hair done up in ringlets. She had gentle green eyes and hair the color sand, her posture too fluid to be anything other than human.

Anya. Her name drifted to my conscious and from the perspective of someone else I started to dance with her.

"Oh, my beloved Tobias. I wish for this night to continue on forever." Tobias? Was that Master's true name?

"It doesn't have to end my precious Anya. You can become what I am and spend all of eternity with me." She spun in my arms and paused briefly to gaze deep into my eyes. Somehow she seemed familiar.

"In due time, my love. In due time." The memory suddenly shifted to a dark rainy night, a limp body in my arms. Tears leaked from my eyes as I glanced down, Anya's lifeless eyes looking up at me. Her body appeared to have been bitten into, wolves the cause for this. Their scent was everywhere.

"Find me again my love and I will save you. I will protect you. And you and I will get our revenge on those who ended your life." As if someone had seen me peeking at their diary, I was pushed from the memories back to my own mind. Real tears streamed down my cheeks and back in my own mind I recognized Anya. She looked so similar to that woman. Not to me but to someone else who had similar but strikingly perfect features to Master's dead love.

"Kestrel?"