Chapter 11: Cutting the Strings

I knew when I was in a deep sleep that I could easily look and see from the outside through others. It was easy to be awake all the time but during the day for my kind was difficult. With it being around ten in the morning, Adam already at school, I slipped into my normal rutine of looking for him though my puppets. I tried Logan first.

As defiled as I felt slipping into his mind, it didn't compare to the weird fuzziness and the feeling of being pushed out. I pushed back against what ever force it was and tried with all of my might to stay in, just long enough to see what was doing this.

"There it is again," I heard Logan say in a small whisper. He was sitting in a room with James nearby. Even from here I could see James's irritation.

"What is it?" James asked his friend. I chuckled and almost purred with delight that they were being childish about my consciousness being inside of Logan. James narrowed his eyes at his friend and seemed to be looking for something behind his eyes.

Were they not at school? Oh poor Adam, all that commotion last night and he couldn't do anything today.

"It feels like someone other than me and him are in my head. And not like my bond with everyone. Something disgusting and vile." I mentally put my hands on my hips and huffed at him. The nerve...

"Let me see for a moment," James said and closed his eyes. All of a sudden, a third presence appeared in Logan's mind. I froze and did not dare to move around Logan's mind.

Was James in his head? How could that be though? He would have to be an immortal like me to even do such a thing. And what about that other presence that is still trying to push me out with great force? Exactly what is that?

"I can feel it too but it is probably just a ghost or something. You think it has anything to do with what Adam said yesterday?" Never mind, Adam is still hard at work.

"Maybe. He never acts like that and all of a sudden he is evasive and creepy? I say something has gotten to him." Logan didn't know how right he was.

"We should go visit him after school. That way we can ask him about it and-"

"No," I made Logan say. The force was even stronger when I tried to take control of the male's mind. I pushed back harder and with the last ounce of energy in my mental state made Logan say,

"He is not the person we should be targeting. Someone else is pulling the strings." With that, I was pushed roughly from Logan's mind.