Chapter 22: Blood for Your Thoughts

"So that is what I gathered," I blatantly said to master. I was sure that he was ready to gag at the scent that still lingered even after many showers. I was sitting on my bed in the apartment he had moved us to near the center of town. Where he got his magical money is beyond me but I was grateful for some sort of comfort.

"Not bad Janine. This Kestrel girl seems to have his heart. But she seems to be nothing more than a normal she-wolf. If they aren't mates then perhaps James is hiding his true mate behind her." The thought that yet another female could hold his heart made my blood boil and my eyes narrow. I stood from the bed, still in a bath robe, and started to pace about the room.

"If that is the case then I don't know how he could hide her. I'm sure that with wolves that if they are mated their scent changes. James doesn't smell any different." Master was relaxing in a large and comfortable looking chair. From time to time he would adjust himself but he seemed impervious to my inner struggle.

"Then she cannot be his mate but he may be waiting until the threat passes to mark and claim her as his. We can still consider her his until he chooses otherwise." I crossed the room in a frenzy, carving a canyon into the floor as I paced back and forth.

"The way he looks at her is like mates but its also not. He seems to be forcing it yet doesn't mention it to anyone in his pack. He is an open book to his wolves; he always has been. But I doubt that she could be anymore than a deep crush or even girl friend to him. A glorified non-mate mate." I ran a nail raked hand through my hair out of frustration. Not only was I starting to be effected by the withdrawal of human blood but I hadn't taken master's blood in days now.

"Master, I am hungry. Why do you torture me so by not touching humans?" When I glanced over to his form to hear his response, his lids fluttered closed as if I was boring him.

"Dear Janine. You really must learn patience. Not only do you have little more than three weeks before your plan must be executed but two and a half days of no human blood has made you irritable. If you are truly so hungry than you may take from me. I promised I would not turn you away from my veins and I will stay true to that promise." My fangs appeared at the mention of his blood and for a moment I was about to accept. But my stomach growled a protest.

"Master, do not take this the wrong way but taking from your blood too much is like having the biggest and strongest energy drink imaginable. It jumps when it needs to but my body also needs normal drinks too. It needs human blood." A slight smirk appeared on his lips and I wanted more than anything in that moment to slap it off of him but I knew the repercussions of doing such.

"I take no offense. The taste between a human and our kind is vast. Nothing can compare to human's blood as it is untainted by death and time. Having our kind's blood is like a flat wine that is aged and aged only for the taste to remain the same as the day it was bottled up. You still get the high but not the sweet nectar that you wanted." I couldn't agree more. Right now I wanted to sink my fangs into a bottle of human champagne aged twenty years type A negative. However master still had his orders over me not to drink from them. Adam was under a similar regimen but Ben took him hunting every day to help him learn the ropes and to make sure to not leave a trail of dead bodies back to us.

"Then allow me some sweet human blood to sedate my hunger." His lids opened to reveal glowing crimson orbs that were swirling with mirth.

"Were my orders not clear Janine?" The grin that had been on his jaw was gone now, replaced instead with a scowl.

"They were but-"

"Then you shall follow them without question. No human blood... now extended three more days because of your attitude." My mouth hung agape with surprise. He had never been this cruel before.

I hissed and threw my robe off, my naked body open to everything to see. I did not care. Master had seen it before and if the people outside saw me then they would get a view unlike any other. A small female who was shaped like a barbie doll but much lighter complected because of vampiric paleness. I went to my room next door and stormed in, irritated that my bed had no frame and was quite useless on the floor where it lay.

Leaving no more time for anything of importance to be said, I dug through my duffel bag and pulled out a simple outfit since it was night now. Screw all day clothes right now.

"Where do you think you are going," Master asked from behind me and I didn't give him any mind. I didn't even respond. I was too mad.

"Answer me," he demanded and used our connection to try and force it from me. My knees crumpled to the floor and the truth was being pulled from my chest. My fangs grew numb with the need to comply but I used them to keep my lips closed. I refused to give this man what he wanted.

"Interesting. A vampire with a mind through the bond. You never cease to amaze Janine." I went back to work on getting dressed, blood dripping down my lips.

"If you will not answer then I shall retire to my room for the remainder of the day." Nothing. I heard his quiet steps fade to the background and his door close and click into place. I let my lips be released-

"-out!" I hissed in pain. I couldn't hold his order back but I could delay my response to it. My words were hushed in a whisper but they sounded loud to me, like my body betraying itself.

Once I finished getting dressed into a pair of black yoga pants, a pair of combat boots, and a black cami that went well with a black leather jacket, I walked out to the kitchen area to get a drink of water. When I opened the refrigerator I was met with blood bags. Many, many blood bags.

I smirked and took one for good measure, not caring what type it was. Master had said that I was not to drink from humans but he never said blood bags.

With little more than a slam of the door behind me, I entered the night like a glorified princess. Quickly the bag was drained of its contents and tossed into a dumpster. Screw master and his rules. I was going to be a vampire with no restraints and that was the way I wanted it. No feeding from humans... who the hell did he think he was?

I'll show him though. I'll show him that I'm not just some vampire he made that will follow him blindly. I won't allow for that. I am better than that.

"I'll show him."