16- Discovery (Morgan)

Beginne am Anfang

"Mo, she isn't coming home." my sister pressed.  "Let Mom and Dad take care of her."

I finally snapped, turning and glaring at my sister.  "Maybe you didn't realize, Kat, but Mom and Dad are never home!" I retorted.  "They could care less what happens to us, their 'witchling' daughters!  All they care about is their stupid business!!"  My voice grew louder as I continued ranting.  "We only have each other, grow up and understand that!"

"Morgan." a new voice spoke up, her tone soft yet firm.  My blood ran cold.  Caitlyn, teary-eyed and upset, side-stepped to reveal our mother in a long, button-up, black coat with light boots on her feet and black leggings on her legs.  Her hands were tucked into the coat pockets, and her green eyes blazed.  

"Caitlyn," Mother began, never taking her matching green eyes off my own.  "There's sleeping medicine on the counter for you so you can sleep."

My sister sniffled, wiping her eyes a little.  "Thanks, Mom." she murmured, shuffling past towards the kitchen.  Mom and I remained silent until we heard her make her way back upstairs.  When she had, I opened my mouth to speak, but Mother held up her hand, stopping me.  She held a finger up to her lips and gestured for me to follow her.  Walking to the door, she opened it and let me go out first.  I dropped my hood and fidgeted with the end of my side braid.

The night was cool, with a slight breeze that chilled my exposed skin.  My body was trembling, although I was certain it wasn't the chills.

The door clicked shut softly.  "Why are you still awake, musume?" Mother asked, using the Japanese word for 'daughter'.  That's how I knew that I was in deep trouble.

"Oka-san, I'm sorry." I mumbled in reply, hoping that the Japanese word for 'mother' would improve my situation.  "I wasn't thinking, I'm just tired..."

"Then why are you not in bed?" Mother pressed, crossing her arms.

I chewed my lip, casting my eyes downward and choosing not to give a reply.  But soft, cool fingers caught under my chin and tilted my head upward.  "Tell me, Morgan." Mom said, lowering her head so our matching green eyes were the same level.

"Oka-san," I began, heart-pouding.  "Do you know where Kylee is?"

Mother held my gaze for a moment longer, before sighing and straightening up again.  "Yes." she answered.  "I do."  My eyes widened, but once again I held my tongue.  She smiled softly at me.  "Ask, musume.  Ask what you want to know."

I stared at her for a moment, then composed myself.  "Where is she honestly?"

Mom tossed her hair.  "She is out taking her role in the family business."

"And what is the family business, exactly?"

With a pause, I could see the battle going on inside of my mother's mind.  She was debating on either giving in to my request, or feeding me another lie that would eventually come out later.  I would make sure it did.

"Come, musume.  I will explain." she finally agreed, opening the door once more and leading the way back inside.  I followed her to her and Father's room, a place we daughters were never allowed.  Their bedroom door normally remained closed, so when she unlocked it and swung it open, I hesitated before entering.  This was the one boundary rule I had actually followed in my entire life, because somewhere in my childhood I had developed a fear for my life if I wandered into their room.

Mother beckoned.  "It is alright, Morgan." she assured me quietly.  "You may enter."

I stepped forward.  The aroma of the room didn't surprise me- Father may have denied himself access to his powers, but he knew the proper techniques to keep demons away.  That part of him would never go away.  But the look of the room was Japanese in style, and it made me realize that maybe Mother had more power in the relationship than I realized.