interlude • iii

t h a t n i g h t

THAT NIGHT WOULD be the night to remember

Theo knew from the moment the first guests arrived. To the guests, an ensemble of wealthy, elderly men with high brows, trimmed moustaches and a numerous amount of titles to their names, that night must have marked the beginning of the next big breakthrough in the science community. A milestone towards achieving greater things. To the reporters that followed swiftly after them, that night must have been a breakthrough of a different sort. Surrounded by the elite few selected to be witnesses to such an occasion surely was nothing short of a ticket to stardom. Covering such a story that was yet unknown to the world would propel their careers to new heights.

That night was a night where the intangible became theirs for the taking. It marked change. And Theodore Sparke found it oddly comforting that that night started here. In a small, cosy study next to the main foyer, with Emmy and Arlie in front of him, illuminated by the warm glow from the fireplace.

After tonight, moments like this could be normal. These hectic years would cease, and he and Arlie would finally have time to do things with Emmy without worrying about being called away to a different country to discuss the possibility of optical isomers affecting the purity of the product. Their research had been peer-reviewed and successfully passed the first phase of testing. They'd be showcasing their first working prototype tonight. Afterwards, they could pass the mantle on without having to worry about the scrutinising gazes of their benefactors.

These are the thoughts that keep Theodore Sparke sane. The soft sound of stringed instruments streamed into the room, serenading the air. A slight evening chill tickled at his skin each time the entrance doors opened, letting in more guests. The background chatter increased. Soon he would have to go greet his guests, but for now Theo was at peace, watching Emmy stand in front of the mantelpiece, grinning broadly at him. She had the smile of an angel and was aptly dressed the part, wearing a baby blue frock and a matching ribbon in her blonde curls. Emmy giggled at something her mother said and Arlie turned to give him an infectious grin that instantly put his heart at ease.

"We should get the camera," he suggested to his wife.

"Already on it," Arlene Sparke replied, getting up. She took a few steps forward, hand outstretched to receive a camera from a maid who had appeared by the doorway. Arlie was always two steps ahead. Theo wondered how he'd survived so long without her.

Returning to side, Arlie began to take pictures of Emmy by the fireplace. Her blue frock brought out the green flecks in her hazel eyes, her smile making her shine brighter. "The pictures look lovely," Arlie murmured. After a moment, she sighed. "Vic would have loved to see this in person."