Chapter 9: I-I could've saved him

"How's school going so far?" Shawn asks during breakfast as I just shrug "Same as usual" I reply before taking another bite of my eggs, "Yeah, there isn't much going on" Josh adds as I glance at him with a soft smile. Ever since the Mason incident we stopped arguing, we finally came to some sort of understanding and I couldn't be happier. I liked talking to Josh and I liked having him around, I just hope that it'll stay that way.

"Ready?" Josh asks once we finish breakfast, "Yeah" I nod grabbing my bag before walking towards him, "Bye!" We both shout opening the front door, "Have fun kiddos" Shawn shouts back right before Josh closes the door and we start walking to school together. It was something that we started doing right after Mason tried to take advantage of me, I liked how protective Josh got over me after that, it showed a side of him that I never thought would still be there. A side that showed that he did care of others and not just himself, maybe he isn't a jerk after all, we all have our problems and some people just deal with it the wrong way.

"Aren't you going to go to your locker or see your friends?" I ask confused when I notice that he's following me, usually when we arrive we part ways and occasionally he'd come and see if Mason was anywhere near me.

~🏍~

"We both have a free next, might as well stick around" I answer seeing the gorgeous blonde raise a brow at me. She looked adorable especially in her oversized black sweater that she tucked in her jeans. She was so short and all I could think about was having her in my arms as I pinned her against the wall. "Right" she says slowly drawing out every letter as she gets her books from her locker. I look up and find Mason staring at the both of us from afar knowing that if came close to her he'd be dead, I shoot him a smirk before looking down at the blonde.

"Come on let's go, there's garbage that needs to be taken out" she furrows her brows and looks around and once her eyes land on Mason she instinctively takes a step closer to me. "Come on he won't hurt you" I assure her, placing my hand on the small of her back and leading her towards the library. Turns out that Mason was exactly what I needed to win Maya, now I could get her to see that I'm not a jerk and she'd eventually go out with me because come on... how can she resist me.

"No" she giggles making me laugh before she groans, "This is the last time I'm explaining it to you" she warns as I just nod, smiling at the girl. "It's called a mindmap, you have one main topic in the middle and you branch out different things related to it and no it's not just random words and I have no clue why they don't called it a spider web" she explains as I just keep smiling at her. Maya is easily entertaining, she has so much too say and the way she says it and the way she looks at the world is so intriguing that you could last days just talking to her. "Now let me finish my work" she smiles glancing up at me, her breathtaking ocean blue eyes locking against my darker blue orbs.

"Hey Josh party tonight you coming?" A guy named Jack asks, I talked to him a few times and according to everyone he had the best parties ever. "Yeah" I answer making him nod before leaving, I look back at Maya and find her staring at me confused, "What?" I questions as she sighs and shrugs "Nothing, I just thought you were done partying" she admits making me roll my eyes.

"Maya partying isn't bad, you gotta let loose sometimes and have fun" I explain as she bites her lip and nods before returning to her work.

~🏍~

In all honesty I didn't want Josh going to that party at all, not because I didn't want him to go have fun or let loose but because I knew that there was going to be alcohol and last time I checked those two are not a good combination. He was doing so well and we finally started being friends that I didn't want it to be ruined by some party. I knew Josh could be a really sweet an caring person when he wanted to, I mean look at him, he cared for me and made sure I was okay after Mason tried to force himself on me, he stayed by my side protecting me. Now I just hope that's not going to stop after he drinks and realises something and pushes himself away from me.

"What the hell?" I mutter fluttering my eyes open as I get woken up by my phone's annoying ringtone. I pick it up and find Josh's name making my heart drop. I sit up and quickly press the green icon, waiting for our phones to connect before I hear his voice. "Maya" he sounds like he's just been beaten up, "Josh are you okay?" I ask worriedly biting my lip as I wait for his answer, "Can you come get me?" He asks "I'm drunk" he slurs as I sigh "Drank a bit too much" he chuckles as I climb out of bed, "Where are you?" I ask putting him on speaker as I slip on a sweatshirt and shoes. "Jake's house" he answer making me shake my head, "No Josh what's the address?" I ask leaning against my dresser.

"Um, it's 3 blocks from Topanga's" he says as I roll my eyes, leave it to Josh to give you a proper address, "Can you meet me there then?" I ask hearing him hum in response. "Okay I'll be there in a few minutes" I say hanging up and opening my window before rushing to the cafe, luckily it only a 5 minute walk. Shawn is going to kill me if he ever finds out about this, but it's not like I can leave Josh at a party alone and anyways he was there for me when I needed someone, so I'm going to be there for him. 

"Maya!" Josh exclaims once his eyes land on me, he tries to walk to me but stumbles on his feet and I quickly catch him, "Jesus Josh how much did you drink?" I ask starting to walk back to the house with Josh leaned against me. "A lot" he laughs looking down at me, "You know you're gorgeous" he admit as I look up to find him smiling down at me, "Really gorgeous" he slurs making me chuckle and shake my head as I continue to lead him to the house.

"Shawn's going to kill me" he admits as I sigh, "He won't because he won't know" I assure him as he furrows his brows "But I'm drunk" he slurs as I roll my eyes, "Yes I know, just keep walking" he nods and focuses on walking making me stifle a laugh. "What shit did you go through?" He suddenly asks taking me aback "What?" I ask confused "Shawn said you went through a lot already" he admits making me sigh "It doesn't matter, we're already here, can you climb?" I ask looking at him, he nods and climbs the fire escape as I follow behind him.

Once were inside I glance at my clock and find that it's 4 am. "I-I should've saved him" I hear Josh mutter making me turn around to find him on the floor holding his knees. "It-it was all my fault" he mumbles as tears start to stream down his face. I quickly kneel in front of him, "Josh what are you talking about?" I ask but he shakes his head vigoursly, "I-I was just selfish" he whispers lifting his hand to wipe his tear.

I look down at his outfit and sigh, he's wearing jeans and I know he won't be comfortable sleeping in that. "I'll be right back okay?" He nods numbly and I rush outside my room, thankful that my parents are still asleep. I go to Josh's room and grab a pair of sweatpants and a shirt before grabbing a water bottle, some Advil, and a bucket in the kitchen before walking back to my room.

"Here can you change?" I ask handing him his clothes, he stands up and takes off his shirt making my eyes widen, I turn around letting him change until he tells me he's done. "Okay?" He breathes out making me turn back to face him, I stifle a laugh when I find that he put his shirt backwards. "Here sit" I say slowly pushing him back on my bed, he takes a seat and I take off his shirt, trying to ignore the sparks I feel when I accidentally graze my fingers on his defined stomach. I bite my lip and turn his shirt the right way around before putting it back on him.

"Do you want some water?" I ask but he shakes his head as another wave of tears fill his eyes making my heart sink. "Josh what's wrong? You can tell me anhthing" I assure him as he lets his tears run down his face, "I-I could've saved him" he repeats "I-i could've save him" he says once more before lying down on my bed and curling himself into a ball as I just look at him. This Josh right here looks so broken, so fragile and it killed me to see him liked this. I want to be there for him.

I climb on my bed lying down next to him and taking his hand, "It wasn't your fault, it's okay" I whisper as he looks at me "But I-i c-could've save him" he stutters letting more tears fall, "Shh" I I say scooting closer to him as I lift my hand to run my fingers through his hair, "Who could've you saved?" I ask softly but I'm met with silence. I look down and find Josh knocked out making me sigh, he's been through so much.

_______________________________
If you liked this chapter make sure to vote and comment down below your thoughts and opinions,

Or...

Love yourself

-Mel❤