Chapter 25: Not letting go

"There you two are" My dad says once Josh and I stumble back to the house after our walk at the park. "Sorry, we went on a walk around the park with the gang" I slightly lie, "Did we miss dinner?" I ask furrowing my brows when I glance at the clock. It's only six and we usually eat around 8 at the latest.

"No" Shawn answers simply gazing between Josh and I. "But I did want to speak to the both of you" he admits making me look at Josh who just nods whilst my heart starts beating against my chest. We both take a seat on the sofa, making sure there's some distance between the both of us and look at my dad waiting for him to talk first. 

"So I've hear from someone that the both of you are dating" he admits making my heart drop and my eyes slightly widen from his confession. "Now my question is, is it true?" he asks calmly looking from Josh to me, "Now there's not really a point in lying because that person who told me wouldn't lie to me" he adds making me realise who told him. Riley wouldn't betray my trust like that, even if we're mad at each other, which leaves one other person, Cory. He works at the school and he probably heard everyone talking about how I'm dating the school's new bad boy, also known as his younger brother. I internally groan, I completely forgot about Cory reporting what I'm doing back to my father. 

"Dad they were just rumo-" I start thinking I have a chance to lie to him and get us out of this mess but Josh cuts me off "Yes its true" he answer causing me to turn and look at him with wide eyes. Is he crazy?! He shrugs and gives me a soft smile.

"Maya?" I look back at my dad who's looking at me expectantly "Do you want to deny what Josh said?" he asks raising a brow. I sigh biting my bottom lip and shake my head, "No" I answer softly "We are dating" I confirm looking down at my fingers as I start to nervously play with them. 

"Since when?" he asks softly making my heart pound against my ribs. His acting pretty calm and in situation like these I know he's just trying to calm himself for the anger bubbling inside of him. One wrong answer can lead to a full blown fight. "Almost two months" Josh answer causing Shawn to scoff in disbelief, "So you're telling me that the both of you have been secretly dating behind everyone's back?" he question glaring at my boyfriend who nods keeping his head down. 

"Yes" Josh mumbles before looking up "I know I should've asked for your permission-" he instantly gets interrupted "No shit you should have!" Shawn yells startling me "I agreed for you to stay with us because you are like a little bother to me, I expected you to follow the rules I set! Not date my daughter behind my back!" he shouts making me flinch. I hate it when he yells. "I know, sorry" Josh whispers before biting his lip. 

"You do realise I can't allow you two to keep dating right?" My eyes widen and all the air leaves my lungs. "What?!" I breath out looking at my dad in disbelief "You can't do that!" I yell making Shawn's glare leave Josh and set towards me, "I can and I will" he states. "No!" I shake my head taking Josh's hand, "You can just expect me to break up with him just because you want me to" I say feeling Josh squeeze my hand. "You are my daughter and you will do what I say" he demands making me scoff "You both live under my roof and you will follow my rules" I roll my eyes and glare at him. 

"Hate to break it to you but that's not a good reason for me" I say not caring how I speak to him, he might be my father but he had no right to order me and expect me to break up with someone, especially when I love that person. "Maya!" he warns but I shake my head, "I'm sorry but no. You don't even know why we're dating, or how we started liking each other. You don't know anything about our relationship" I point out "So tell me why is it you want me to break up with him?" I question. 

"I don't need to know any of that, I-" he tries to argue but I don't let him. "And why is that?" I question "You think you can just judge what's going on between the two of us. Let me guess you think he's gonna use me because that's just the kind of guy he is, that he could careless about me. If that's what you think you're wrong! I-" I snap but Shawn gets fed up quickly and yells my name with so much anger laced between the two syllables startling me. "Enough!" he shouts as I start to shake, feeling tears build in the back of my eyes.