Chapter 6: Family Time

Start from the beginning

Ben grinned and shook his head. “He’s just enjoying his life, Abbs. You can’t blame him for being happy.”

“Enjoying his life?” Abby repeated with a huff. “Sleeping with everything in a skirt is not what I call enjoying life, Ben. Why can’t the two of you grow up? At least you have the decency to keep your affairs a secret. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you with a woman. You’re not gay, are you? I mean…if you are that’s okay…I just…”

A rumble of laughter resounded through the room as Ethan walked in, effectively shutting Abby up and ending her ridiculous rant. “Ben? Gay? Oh, sister, you don’t know him half as well as you think you do. He’s probably slept with more women than me.”

“Ethan, so nice of you to join us,” Abby sarcastically smiled, rolling her eyes.

“Brother,” Ethan greeted, giving Ben a manly hug. “Now where are my two munchkins?" Cade immediately pulled free from Ben’s hold and ran towards his other uncle. Traitor.

“How’s the new job going?” his mother asked after she walked into the room and kissed Ben on the cheek. The woman might be in her late fifties, but she still looked as sophisticated and beautiful as ever. Her silver shoulder length hair was pulled into a neat bun and a thin layer of makeup magnified her features.  

“Busy, but good,” Ben replied as he gave his mother a one-armed hug and pecked her cheek in return.

“He has an assistant and everything,” Abby butted in with a wink.

“An assistant?” Ethan whistled. “Damn. Is she hot?”

Ben scowled. “How inappropriate, Ben would never start something with one of his employees,” his mother quickly interrupted, giving her youngest son a scolding look. “You shouldn’t ask those kind of questions.”

Ethan rolled his eyes at his mother’s comment, but didn’t argue her logic. Ben found it kind of amusing that Ethan still listened to their mother. He’d always been a momma’s boy, just like Jarred.

“When is she bringing her son by?” Abby asked quietly, out of earshot to the rest of the family. Ben appreciated her discretion. He’d have a field day trying to explain why Amelia’s son might be staying at Abby’s place to his mother.

“She’s found someone to look after him after all.” Yesterday evening, Amelia had called him to let him know Megan would take care of her son for the duration of their trip.

“That’s good news. I’m sure she’s more at ease now she knows someone she trusts is taking care of her boy,” Abby smiled. Ben honestly didn’t understand. His sister was a trustworthy person, why would Amelia mind if she looked after her son?

Abby sighed and shook her head. “Don’t frown,” she scolded. “Of course the mighty Benjamin Hardman wouldn’t understand. One day you’ll be a father yourself and realize why it’s such a big issue to leave your child with someone you don’t know.”

Ben refrained from answering, knowing it would only lead to an endless discussion. He loved his family dearly, but they could annoy the hell out of him too. Well, at least it was never boring spending a day with the Hardman’s.

***

“Here you go,” Amelia smiled as she handed her son a cone of vanilla ice cream from the ice cream truck that halted at the park where she took Landon to play outside. It was a beautiful day, warm sunrays heated the pale skin peeking from underneath her shirt and not a single cloud could be detected in the clear blue sky. Children’s loud laughter echoed through the park as they played with their friends or parents. It was lovely, the perfect Sunday to Amelia, a day out with her favorite boy in the world.