Chapter Sixteen

I laid on the picnic blanket, looking up at the fluffy, white clouds. I had a ton on my mind.

Nell lying to me about coming through the back door, when in retrospect, my house did not have a back door.

My dreams. Or in this case, nightmares.

The shadows in general.

Maxine. That she was gone.

The bus crash.

Making my dad angry.

"Ugh!" I massaged my forehead and moaned softly. Thinking on these thoughts made my head hurt.

The yellow sun casted its light down on me as if it wanted me to entertain it. I hissed and shielded my eyes with my hand. The sun was so bright.

A strong breeze kicked up, and the trees' branches shook as if they were cold. Some leaves flew off the trees and landed on the nice, green grass.

My brown hair danced in the wind, and I had to keep brushing it back because strands of it kept blocking my eyes.

The struggle is real, people.

The wind soon died down, and I sighed, relieved that I would not have to worry about parts of my hair getting in my eyes for a while.

I relaxed my body and continued collecting my thoughts.

"Nigel."

"Huh?!" I suddenly sat up straight.

"Nigel."

I looked around. "W-who is there?" I stammered.

"Nigel."

I clenched my hands into tight fists. I was feeling a little frustrated. "Crub! Tell me who you are! Or I will get my dad, and he will slug you!"

I waited for an answer, but none was given. I surveyed my surroundings, trying to spot the culprit.

Then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I gasped as I turned around and saw a woman standing. She had brown hair that went past her own shoulders and wore a purple, long-sleeved shirt and black pants. She also wore black shoes and a purple necklace around her neck. She placed her hands on her hips and gave me a warm smile.

"Hello, Nigel," the woman greeted. "My son."

My mouth hung open. I could not believe who it was.

"...Mom?" I finally spoke.