Chapter Twelve

"This way!" Mr. Hawk directed us.

We headed uphill to the mansion. Wind was blowing gently, making my braids bobble left and right. I had to keep pushing them out of my sight, which was an absolute pain. The tiny pieces of grass swayed as if though they were composing music.

I looked at the sky. A bright, yellow sun - at least, I thought that it was the sun - shined against the purple sky.

Purple sky?

Yes, a purple sky. With millions of little stars.

It was pretty dark outside, I suddenly noticed, and it was only twelve o'clock in the afternoon.

Hmm. Perhaps Forlot has a different timezone.

"Sis, where is your stuff?" Scarlett said to me.

"On the bus," I quickly replied. "I forgot about them." I knew that if I told my sister that, then she would act just like a parent and tell me how disappointed she was of me for getting on a bus without her or Sarah. She could rant all that she wanted, however, it was a good thing that I left them on the bus. A very good thing.

You see, I accidentally left my bags with Dr. O'Connor, and he would know that they were mine and search for me to give them back. And wherever he would find me, he would find Mr. Hawk!

This was my brilliant plan.

My sister, Sarah, and I will stay at Mr. Hawk's mansion. I will play it cool and pretend nothing weird is going on until Dr. O'Connor arrives. After that, I will leave it to Dr. O'Connor, seeing that he is the Monster Protector.

He is still going to have to fill me in on the rest of the story of how he became the Monster Protector once we meet again and defeat Mr. Hawk.

We got to the top of the hill and saw a huge and beautiful mansion. I will admit, for an evil man, he has a nice home. We came to some locked gates, and Mr. Hawk put a hand in his pocket and pulled out a key.

"Here we go," he said as he unlocked and pushed the gates open. "Welcome to Magical M. Manors!"

Scarlett and Sarah cheered happily. I just stood there, smirking.

Enjoy these moments while you can, Mr. Hawk. They will be your last.

Mr. Hawk pointed at a fountain as we walked passed it to the entrance. "That is the Crypt Fountain," he explained. "It has been there for many years."

I raised an eyebrow. Somehow, I did not believe that.

We soon entered the mansion and looked around.

"Whoa."

The mansion was even bigger and more beautiful on the inside than the outside.

"This is gorgeous, Mr. Hawk," my sister complimented.

"It is awesome!" Sarah piped in.

"I am glad that you girls like it," the man said. He motioned to a corner. "You can set your things in that corner over there and explore. I need to go and search for my friends, so you can meet them."

"Okay," Scarlett and Sarah agreed at the same time. They placed their belongings in the corner, and they and Mr. Hawk hurried off in different directions.

I stayed where I was, thinking on my genius plan, when I noticed a small object lying in the hallway. "Huh?" I slowly walked towards the object and gripped it tightly.

What was it? What was this mysterious thing?

I brought it close to me - and realized that it was only a puppet. A lifeless puppet.

"Awe. A cute, little puppet," I said to myself.

"Hey, who are you calling cute?" the puppet spoke.

Startled, I screamed, "Ah!," and the puppet yelled too.

"Ah!"

Just then, another puppet ran to me and shouted when he saw me.

"Ah!"

Four ghosts - yes, four ghosts - floated to us and screamed when they spotted me.

"Ah!"

"Ah!"

"Ah!"

"Ah!"

It was a screaming fest, let me tell ya!

Did things get worse?

Yes.

Scarlett heard me and came to my rescue - only to have fainted when she saw the puppets and ghosts.