Chapter Thirty

I was thinking that we would never go back. I was hoping that we would never return to the place where we met the monster.

Personally.

We would wonder if we were dumb enough to do it. Even you guys, the readers, would assume that we were crazy.

But here we were. Exiting the hospital building. Heading off. Taking our sweet time to stroll down the sidewalk. My brother and I.

To the house. The house where the creature was hanging out.

I still could not believe that the two of us - just kids - were going back to that house. It was as if we wanted to get ourselves killed. But Lena convinced us. How? I do not know. I am still puzzled on that.

Lena demanded that me and my twin should head back to the house and gather our bags - and belongings if the terrifying creature snooped through the bags.

As she said that, a chill immediately shot down my spine. There was no way that we would go back. We were lucky - or as I call it, blessed - to make it out alive in the first place. And that was only because our aunt managed to unlock the front door.

"What if we do not make it?" I questioned her. "What if we end up dead?" I shuddered a little. "Then what? Do you want that on your conscience?"

She did not protest. Instead, she just stared. Stared intently at me.

I was getting creeped out. I looked away and glared at Katrina. I wondered when she would wake up. That was when Lena spoke.

"The creature cannot harm you. I promise you that." She ran her fingers through her hair. "You need to get that file of photos and bring it to me. I believe that your aunt took those other pictures. I will hold onto them until she wakes up from her slumber. And you two need to get your belongings."

Hansel huffed. "Why can you not go?"

"I need to stay with your aunt. And I know. You are just kids. I, however, am old and fragile. I am young, but I am also old."

The things that came out of her mouth. They were not threats. They were not orders. I...have no idea what they were. But the words that she said and how she said them were enough for me and my brother to leave the safety of the hospital. Leave our aunt...

...and make our way back to the wooden house.

I wished that the house was inches away. Miles away!

Across the country!

I did not want to take a step back inside that house.

Minutes had passed. Hansel and I did not talk on the way there. Neither of us said a single word. We were both worried. Worked up.

We jumped when we both spotted the house. The house was not far. I am guessing four inches.

We walked past the small house that was next to the wooden house. In front of the small house were two kids. They were laughing and playing with a soccer ball. The kids, who were both boys, ran around and took turns kicking the ball.

Their laughters rang in my ears. I rolled my eyes.

"Lucky ducks," I muttered under my breath. "How blessed are they that they do not have to enter a spooky house and confront a horrifying and ugly monster."

Hansel glanced over at the boys and scoffed. "They love soccer," he commented. "Please! Soccer is so boring. The Creature From Beyond is more interesting. Heck, this whole book series is more interesting!"

I glared at him. So much for waiting to break the fourth wall.

I swear that we are the only ones who do it.

I gently patted his shoulder. "Anybody can love soccer. It does not go against the law. The same can be said for R-rated movies."

"And that is another thing!" We stopped in front of the wooden house. "Why do R-rated movies exist? They should be L-rated. Lame!"

Jeez. His joke for that was lame.

"People have a right to watch those movies," I reminded him. "But Forlot did ban R-rated movies a long time ago. Many people got sick."

"I know," he replied. "Thank goodness."

Please excuse my twin brother for his incompetence.

We stopped chatting and faced the house. We heard creaks and other sounds. The noises sounded like that they were coming from inside.

I gulped. "The creature," I whispered.

Hansel started walking up to the porch. I followed.

I noticed something from the corner of my eye. I tilted my head up. Something was behind the house.

On the green hills.

I spotted whatever it was...

...and came to a shocking realization.

It was the boy. The boy that we saw earlier.

He was standing at the top of a hill. His scarf blew in the wind. He did not seem to care and was waving.

Waving at me?

Maybe.

I had a shaky feeling that this boy was staring at me. And I had a weird feeling that he was smiling.

Smiling at me.

Why?

I ran up to the porch and breathed heavily. Hansel was already on the porch.

He raised an eyebrow. "What is wrong with you?"

I turned to him and ran a hand through my hair. I just wanted to forget about the boy and get this "party" over with.

"Stop talking," I demanded. "We need to move." I gripped the doorknob.

"Wait. What if the creature is standing on the other side? Waiting for us?"

I shook my head. "It is not like that it is hunched on its hind legs and right behind this door." I twisted the knob and opened the door.

And the two of us screamed.

There was the creature.

Hunched on its hind legs and waiting for us.

Growling with glee.