Chapter Three

"Hansel!" I hurried back into the other room and saw my twin brother on the floor, shaking. "Hansel?" I whispered as I placed my hand on his shoulder. He quickly jerked away and pointed at the doorway.

"M-monster," he stammered.

I looked up at where he was pointing - and saw a dark, shadowy figure standing in the doorway. I took a close look at the figure.

The figure was tall and slim. It looked like that it had long hair and was carrying something.

A purse?

Yes, a purse.

"Mom?"

The figure giggled as it stepped into the room, and my brother and I could see clearly that it was none other than our own mom.

"Hi, kids," she said, smiling at us. "Sorry that I scared you."

I shook my head. "You did not scare me, Mom," I told her. "Hansel, however, freaked out that you were an actual monster."

"I can tell." She looked at him and helped him up. "Honey, have you been watching those scary movies again?" she asked.

"N-no," my brother managed to choke out.

My mom crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "Tell me the truth."

Hansel sighed. "Okay, okay. I may have watched some scary movies sometime last week."

"You sure about that?"

"Alright! I watched two different scary movies every day of last week!"

My mom sighed and pulled him into a hug. "You know that you should not watch anything scary because you get scared easily."

"What about the movie Goose-Flesh?"

"Hansel, when we watched that movie, you thought that monsters would take over the world. You even drew up a plan on how to stop them."

"Well, it could happen!"

"It will never happen because monsters are not real."

"Just humans and humans that act like monsters," I piped in.

"Right, Gretel," my mom agreed.

My twin brother frowned. "It could happen!" he exclaimed angrily. "Monsters could exist! Who says that they cannot?"

"Scientists," I said.

"What do they know?! They have no evidence that monsters cannot exist!" He then stormed to his room, and I heard a door getting slammed shut.

"Will he ever get over this monster phase?" I asked my mom.

"Soon," she replied. "It will just take some time,"

I slowly nodded. "Where is Dad?"

"He is still at work, working on a news report."

"...oh."

"Do not worry. He will be home in two hours."

"But...who is going to cook supper?"

"I am. I have a new recipe for soup. Peanut soup!"

My face twisted in disgust. "Oh. Yay."

You could probably tell that I was definitely not happy that my mom was going to cook supper. In fact, I do not like when she cooks at all! My mom is such a terrible cook. I do not know why or how she is not a very good cook, but trust me, you would not want her to cook for you. A couple of times, she made liver and onions.

Ew!

"And before I get started, I need to ask you something," she stated. "How would you like to miss school tomorrow?"

My eyes widened, and I was suddenly in shock at what she had just asked me. "Excuse me?"

"Tomorrow is 'Bring Your Kid To Work' Day, and your father and I were wondering if you and Hansel would like to come with us to our workplace."

"Seriously? What would Hansel and I do there? Anything exciting?"

"Of course. You two will see how newspapers are made, while your Dad and I go to do our news reports."

Terrific. Just terrific.

"Plus, we both get off early tomorrow. So if you kids come with us, then maybe we could all go to the arcade and have pizza for supper."

I rolled my eyes. I knew that my mom was trying to bribe me and my brother into going with her and Dad to work. On the other hand, the arcade that we go to has the best pizza ever, and I am not kidding about that. And what if my dad lets my mom cook again tomorrow night? He knows that she is awful at cooking, but lets her do it anyway.

I let out a heavy sigh. "Fine," I finally spoke. "I will go, and I will convince Hansel to do the same. Just as long we get to go to the arcade and have pizza afterwards."

My mom gave me a warm smile and hugged me tightly. "We will go to the arcade after work," she stated. "I promise."

Though, that promise did not last for even a minute.