Chapter Three

(Short chapter)

Mate.

  I never thought I would hear that word. Much less thought it would belong to the most ruthless pack's Alpha. Alpha Killian, the half-blind, dangerously well-known Alpha.

  And now I stood before him, without the normal urge to kneel before him. As he was an Alpha, it was a customary response to someone of his superior.

  "Mine." He growled, attempting to pull me closer, but I resisted. This angered him because he once again tried to bring me closer to him, I gave the same response.

  Why aren't you listening to him!? My wolf whimpered angerly.

  Two reasons. One, I'm not some submissive coward. Two, I'm not very sure about this... I trailed off.

  What are you not sure about!! She snarled.

  You know why.....and I can't leave them behind. I answered quickly, this shut her up for a bit. Leaving me to think on my own.

  I couldn't just leave them, I have been protecting them as best I could. I couldn't just leave my family. What would I say? 'Oh, I found my mate and now I'm leaving you all to defend yourselves against Ario.'

  I mean, sure he was my mate...but I didn't know him. I never really wanted a mate, of course, I told myself I wouldn't abandon my mate once finding him, but this was tearing me in two.

  One side of my heart lay with my family, the wolves who had been there with me through everything, whom I had sworn to myself I would protect.

  The other side of me lay with my mate, the man I knew nothing about, yet I felt the need to spend my life with him. To run in the woods with him, play with, have pups with him.

  I didn't know what to do. Of course, rejecting him would be both painful, and heartbreaking, we wouldn't be able to have children with anyone else.

  I knew I would not be able to live without him, but I needed time. Time to process this, time to make my own decision.

  Coming back into reality, I looked into the eyes of the Alpha towering over me. His eyes flashed with confusion mixed worry. Catching my staring, he looked away. When he looked back, his expression was more guarded, serious than before.

  "What's wrong?" Alpha Killian questioned, clearing his throat noticing the stiffness in his voice.

  What was wrong? What could I do? How would I get away, so I could clear my head?

  "I-I-" I tried to respond but only indistinct noise came out.

  "What's wrong, mi Amor?" Killian asked carefully.

I averted my gaze, avoiding eye contact. I knew deep down I wouldn't really leave him forever, I needed space.

  "I-I-I can't." I whimpered. Before he could comprehend what I was doing, I ran.

  I followed my mental compass, sprinting as fast as I could back the way I had come. Behind me I could hear the pounding footsteps of many, at least four or five, following me swiftly.

  I heard a faint "grab her" as I ran. Little did I know that wasn't only meant for me.

  What are you doing!! My wolf growled. I tried my best to ignore her, but it got harder as she continued.

  Go back you fool!!

  That's our mate you left behind!!

  Do you really think you can escape him?!

Her last comment had me on edge.

  How do you think he feels!!??

  How did he feel? He probably could care less for someone he just met, or better yet, someone who ruined his meeting or whatever. He would get over me soon, just a matter of hours, minutes maybe. Killian would most likely find a different girl to be his love. I ranted internally.

  He didn't care about how we felt! He probably didn't even care about us at all!!
  I could hear my wolf's silent whine as I said these things.

  You don't know that! Why else would he show concern? She defended weakly.

  For all, we know he was faking it! Just pretending in front of the others, feigning worry. Don't you understand Mia! He doesn't care for us and he never will!

I growled mentally, continuing my hurried sprint towards home. She silently crawled into the very back of my mind, curling in a tight ball, and covering her face with her paws.

:::

  I slowed upon entering my territory, finally at a better peace if mind, although I knew it wouldn't last long.

  Jogging I reached my village and headed home.

:::

  "I'm back!" I expressed. I was exhausted. I waited to head upstairs until I heard the quiet 'mhm' from Mom.

  I stalked upstairs, entering my room forcefully. Luckily I caught the door before it hit the wall, I abused my poor door way too much.

  Laying on my bed I remembered something, something I had forgotten. Something I had left behind in my rush to escape.

  Before I fell into my soon to be a nightmare, it came to me. What I had forgotten.

  Where was Ember?

  And it was all I could think about, even in my unconscious state.

If you thought it was okay at least, vote, comment. Please