Benjen Stark X Baratheon!Reader (Requested by @swoswokowalski)

Start from the beginning

"Seven Hells, Y/N. How on earth do you get more beautiful each time we come to this wretched city?" Brandon Stark has always been one of your closest friends, going out of his way in an attempt to embarrass you whenever he got a chance, and today was the same as any.

You placed your hand on your chest, as though amazed by his flattery. "It seems the travel agrees with me, My Lord." You attempted to keep your face fixed in your sweet smile but soon dissolved into laughter as he drew you into a quick hug.

"That it does, girl," he laughed as he released you, quickly moving on to Robert who he pulled into a firm hug, their hands smacking at one another's backs as though they were trying to swat at a fly. You had always thought it was a curious tradition, but it never stopped them from doing it each time they saw one another.

You quickly turned your smile back to Ned, who still had his eyes focused on the two men embracing. "It's good to see you again, Ned," you told him softly, and his smile turned to you.

"Y/N," he uttered softly, holding out a hand for you to take until you scoffed.

"Am I not worthy of at least a quick hug?" you asked him, causing him to laugh slightly as you held your arms out for him.

He moved forward, pulling you into the offered hug. "How are you?" he asked softly, releasing you from his arms but keeping his hands resting lightly on your arms.

"I'm good," you told him with a smile, "but I mustn't keep you long or Robert will become restless." You had never understood your brother's friendship with Ned; they were such different people that it was a rather unsettling contrast to see them interact. But they so close that it didn't matter, and that became obvious as Ned gave you a quick nod and moved over to greet your brother.

Your smile only grew when Benjen stepped in front of you, his own smile looking so perfect on his lips that it almost turned your cheeks red. "Afternoon," he started softly, reaching out and taking your hand in his. He did this each time you saw him, and you continued to smile as he followed the usual procedure and brought the back of your hand to his lips.

"How was your journey?" you asked him softly, and he gave a short shrug.

"It was the same as any journey from Winterfell," he told you, pausing for a moment as you raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to finish his answer, "long." You chuckled, glancing down to where he was still holding your hand in his.

You jumped when Robert cleared his throat, quickly pulling your hand back and turning to face him. "Brandon asked whether we wanted to join them for dinner tonight," he pressed slightly, and you simply nodded, forcing your smile back onto your lips.

"Yes," you started, releasing a deep breath, "that would be lovely," you added, glancing around the group. You could almost feel your face glowing with the embarrassment of being caught unawares, and shifted uncomfortably as you watched Robert smirk.

"It's sorted then," he announced, quirking his eyebrows at you in a quick, almost unrecognisable gesture, "Y/N and I will join you tonight."

You were still in a daze as the Stark's made their way out of the tent and further into the city, leaving you and Robert standing along again. He was smiling when you glanced at him again, and you shot him a glare. "Don't start."

"I didn't say anything," he laughed, sitting down at the table and pulling a cup of wine towards himself.

"You don't have to." You followed him over, taking the wine from his hand and taking a deep gulp. "Your demeanour says enough," you added, placing it back in front of him.

"I'm just thinking," he started again, his smile wide, "since you are so clearly interested in Benjen, why you would insist on not marrying him."

You sat down, resting your elbow on the table and rubbing at your eyes in frustration. "I just," you paused for a moment, taking a deep breath, "what if he isn't really interested?"