Chapter 11: February 11th

The Gems were already panicking a bit as the morning came and went. No one really knew for sure what Steven and the cured corrupted Gems were planning, but they could only assume it was something bad.

But finally, just like it happens every day, it became the late afternoon. Connie had just gotten out of school, and she went to Steven's house for the Shipping Contest, just like she did on any weekday.

"Hi Steven." Connie waved, smiling nervously, as she put her backpack on the floor next to her and sat on the couch with Steven.

"Uh, hey." Steven replied, obviously worried about something. The Gems had noticed that before Connie did, though.

"Um, are you okay Steven?...When do you want to start the next activity?" Connie asked.

Steven gulped nervously. "Y-yeah! I'm fine. I just need to- uh, go to the bathroom."

The Gems glared at him and Connie, and Connie shrugged as Steven got up and entered the bathroom.

"Ugh," Steven sighed, washing his hands. "What is going on?"

Things were not only confusing for the Gems, but also for Steven. He couldn't understand why it kept brightening his mood when the Gems were nice to him. He obviously didn't care whether or not they were nice. It wasn't going to change how he treated them...or was it?

"Is this it? Is this who I'm supposed to be?" Steven looked up into the mirror at himself. He was frowning.

"I-... I'm not happy like this, am I? I'm not happy lying. I'm not happy as a leader." Steven pulled up his shirt and looked down at his Gem.

"I'm not any of you. And I don't want to be, either. I want to be me." Steven glared at his Gem.

"But I don't know who I am."

Steven eventually left the bathroom, sitting back on the couch. Everyone had been waiting for his arrival.

"There you are, finally." Bismuth crossed her arms. "So what do you have planned for us today?"

"Well," Steven begun. "There's only one thing I want us to do today." He smirked.

"Hmm?" Pearl questioned curiously.

"Do whatever you want. You're the boss." Amethyst crossed her arms, sighing.

"That's the thing. I... shouldn't be your leader anymore." Steven frowned a bit.

Everyone gasped, speechless.

"I don't want to be Pink Diamond anymore. She was a leader, and I'm not meant for that. And I don't want to be Rose anymore. She was a liar." Steven said, closely watching everyone's reactions. Everyone begun to smile, and Pearl even started to tear up.

"I just want to be me, finally. All this time, I still keep doing everything I thought I was supposed to do, and I keep trying to be like everyone I thought I was supposed to be. I can't keep looking up to them, and I can't keep thinking that they were perfect. Because they're not perfect, and I guess neither am I."

"Oh Steven!" Pearl exclaimed, running over and hugging him tightly. "You might not be perfect, but I'll always love you." She smiled, and begun to cry.

The other Gems, besides Jasper, and Connie joined the hug. Steven grinned.

"I think it just got to me...how you guys never seem to respect my silly ideas. No one wanted to listen. And I thought I had to take control to get you to listen." Steven could feel water form in his eyes. "But sometimes it got way too out of hand. I felt so much stronger and so much better knowing that I have the power to stop a Diamond. And I'm so sorry I threatened to use that power on you."