14

Victoria

I still stand close. He's still, and I'm unable to pick up any emotion or expression from him, not yet. I want him to say something, anything. But he doesn't speak a word, not yet. My heart still contains a rapid race as he's too close, so close I think I'm afraid he'll hear it. I still search his eyes for something, anything that I can escape from. Then, his full lips part.
"I got you." He starts, his jaw hardened. ...I got you...?! I arch a brow, confusion swelling in me. "What is that suppose to mean?" I ask. I step back, creating space between his abnormally calm body.

"It means I understand." I watch him reach behind him, my body instantly tensing when his golden gun appears in his hand. I watch him examine it, before he begins walking slowly in my direction. I step back each step he takes toward me. My heart hammers against my ribs. "Rio...what are you doing?" I question him lowly, carefully. He shrugs slightly, "Just understanding, sweetheart. You said you'd work for me. And I guess it didn't register to you that my boys can't show up at no hospital." I back up into the stupid coffee table, seconds before he lands in front of me, about one foot away. His eyes flick up from the gun to meet mine. My eyes widen when I can the feel the gun up to my neck. I gasp when the tip of the weapon barely brushes on my skin.

"It's a shame, though. I mean, I started to like you. The look on your face when I make unexpected arrivals..." His lips tug upward, before his structured jaw hardens once more. "It's too bad..." His hand grips the back of my neck when the gun is pressed deeper in, I wince. "Rio...don't." I spit.

"Why not?" He asks, his domineering voice vigorous. I swallow in front of him, and notice his eyes glance over my tense shoulder. His gaze fixates on whatever lies behind me. His unreadable gaze makes me curious. What is it?? What did I hang on that stupid wall?! Why can't I remember?! His eyes meet mine again, behind them an unrecognized emotion.

Then, he speaks, the gold gun still pressed against my neck. "You're married," The gangster states, rather questions. I shake my head against the gun brushing across my skin. "No. I was engaged..." My brows furrow at him. "Why?" I ask, confusion sounding in my shaky voice. Rio purses his full lips a moment. And looks back, to what I assume is the picture I didn't get to take down of me and Jack. His chocolate brown irises lock onto mine again. "Was..." He questions in mock, searching my eyes. I shut my eyes briefly a moment, then open to meet his, and, for the first time; prepare to tell the gangster about Jack.

"He...um..." I let out a soft breath, tense against him. "He cheated on me." Saying this feels odd - saying this to the gangster feels odd. But I continue, for some unknown reason. "I caught him the day you showed up to tell me about your friend Chris...the day you gave me your name..." I finish, barely audible. My eyes never leave his, all the while his gaze latches onto me in the moment as well. His full lips twitch, almost as if suppressing a smile that could kill, before he finally lowers the gun.

Slowly, quietly, a soft breath escapes from my lips, and I blink away the tears I didn't realize were threatening to pour. He takes a step back in a smooth movement. He puts the gun back into the waistline of his dark jeans, pulling his dark blue button down shirt over it afterward. I watch him, noticing the once over he gives me again - I'm still in my scrubs - my hair probably ruffled. "What's his name?" He asks, folding his hands. I'm taken aback, and perch a brow at his question.

"Who...?" I ask lowly, though I'm afraid I know exactly who he wants information on.

Rio, again, licks his full lips when his eyes fix on my own. "Your ex fiancé. What's his name?"

---

Thank you for reading, hope you all enjoyed!

Vote. Comment. Share.

Much love,

xx