2

Victoria

I feel the morning sunlight beaming onto my face from the window, earning a groan and a turn in bed in return. I pull the sheets over me. But suddenly my alarm sounds, and I jump.

Sitting up, glancing at Jack's snoring body, I look at the clock on my nightstand: 8:02 a.m.

I'm scheduled for work at 8:00...

"No, no, no!" I kick my feet around the edge of my bed and rush into the bathroom to hurriedly get ready.

Around twenty minutes pass by before I know it, and I rush down the stairs while brushing my brown waves.
"Babe, you're going to be late." I hear Jack from behind me. I toss my hair brush onto the kitchen table as I pace by and grab the keys from the counter.

"I'm well aware of that, Jack. I just can't believe I overslept." I breath heavily, in turn feeling a gentle grip on my hips.

I spin on my heel to face Jack, his lips showcasing a bright smile. "Look, I love you. I have to go!" I shoo him away, dismissing myself before he spins me around again - now capturing my lips in his.

"Love you too, bye," he says once our lips deliberately part, and he releases me, before I shut the front door and run down the front porch.

I hop in my silver 2018 Nissan Altima and turn on the ignition. Pulling out of the driveway, a reminder hits my memory; I have to call my sister.

I dig for my cell phone, eyes still focused ahead, when I eventually feel it between two fingers in my purse. I dial her number. Only within moments, she picks up.

"Wassssup." She starts. I sigh, coming up to a stop sign at the end of my road. "Ann, don't forget to pick up Abby's medicine at the house." I remind her.

"Don't worry, I haven't forgotten." She sighs. "Speaking of, is the newly engaged fiancé going to be there when I stop by to pick it up? If not I was going to do my usual and grab a snack from the fridge." Ann pipes.

"Why can't you do that if Jack is there?" I ask, driving ahead toward the railroad tracks. I yield the second I see them.

Train tracks have never been my thing.

"Because he's going to give me that 'what are you doing in my house and taking the food' look. Do you want that look? I don't want that look." I hear her murmur on the other line.

"Um, that house is my house. You know that Jack is just staying there until we marry. Then he'll officially settle in." I clear my throat, when my shoulders tense. "OK hold on sis, I'm coming across railroad tracks..." I say warily.

"Always. It never fails. Tell me, how do railroad tracks scare you so much?" I roll my eyes from her question.

"Do you know how many people died from getting hit by a train?!" I blurt, carefully driving across them, then putting a bit more pressure to the gas once I'm over them.

"Jeesh, Vic. Just calm down..." She tries to assure - and those are the last words I hear from my sister before my head slams against the side of my car window, and my cell flies from my grasp from the petrifying friction.

I instantly try to slam on my breaks. Doing so, my body jerks back afterwards. Mixed with shock, and fright, I put the car in park when I realize I've crashed into somebody's car. I'm quick to exit.

My pulse incessantly quickens.

I hurriedly go to feel my head - there's no blood. I peer my gaze in the direction of a sleek black car, a BMW, with tented windows; the car I obviously hit - due to the large dent in the side of it.