Finally On Track

The Following Day

Terry woke up early, sliding out of bed without Taraji waking up. Heaven woke up, walking out her room in her pink pajamas, rubbing her eyes. "Daddy," she called out, seeing him from 1 eye. "Hey princess. Are you hungry?" He asked. She nodded, walking up to him and reaching up. He scooped her up, walking into the bathroom closest to her room. He stood her down on her foot stool so she could reach the sink. "Gotta brush your teeth and wash your face first," he said, grabbing her toothbrush and toothpaste.

"I know... I can do it myself. I'm a big girl," she said, putting the toothpaste on after wetting her toothbrush. Terry stood back, watching her tackle the task with ease. His mind drifted to Brey. He remembered watching her do all these things growing up, and now he didn't even hear from her often unless she was with Alice. He also thought about Hunter. He was 2 years old, and living with someone who wasn't even hands on with teaching Aubrey the essentials when she was his age. "Daddy I'm done!" Hev yelled, snapping him out his thoughts.

"Oh you're done? Lemme inspect. Say cheese," the 3 year old did as told. "Did you get your tongue?" He asked, prompting her to stick her tongue out. "I guess you're done... oh no. What is that in the corner of your eyes? Are those-" "Don't say it daddy!" She giggled, climbing down and running to grab a towel to wash her face. He turned on the water for her, watching her stand back up on the stool and wet the towel. She squirted a little face wash on the towel and proceeded to wash the sleep off.

Rinsing the towel off, she cleaned the soap off her face then rinsed the towel again, cleaning behind her ears. "Now I'm done," she said, turning around and cheesing at her dad. "Good job Hevie. Let's go make some food," he said, catching her as she lunged towards him. Heading downstairs to the kitchen, the two started making breakfast for everyone. "Hi Papa!" Heaven's little voice called out. Boris kissed he cheek and tickled her. "Stop! I'm cooking!" She screamed out as her laugh filled the room.

"Alright alright. Don't want you messing up the food," Boris said, grabbing a bottle of water out the fridge. "Morning Boris," Terry said, handing Hev plates and helping her put food on them. "Morning... you do this often?" Boris asked, stealing a piece of bacon that Hev just put on a plate. "That's your plate now!" She snapped at him, pouting her face. Boris laughed at her then sat down on the other side of the bar. "Sometimes. I like to let her sleep, especially when I'm planning something," Terry informed him.

"Oh really? What exactly are you planning?" Boris pried, being the nosey father he is. He felt he could butt in at this point, remembering all the surprises Terry did for Taraji when they were younger. A promise ring given in front of the entire family burned in his memory. "Heavenly Rae, go wake everybody up so they can eat," Terry demanded, knowing that she runs her mouth about everything. She put the last biscuit on a plate then jumped down off the chair, darting up the stairs.

When she was out of sight, Terry began to talk. "I was thinking of shutting down a restaurant, just so we can have some privacy. It's been a while since it's really been just the two of us. Plus I feel like I need to redo some things, not just tell her, but show her how I feel. I mean, I give her meaningful gifts and whatnot, but the last real special gift I gave her was that promise ring. And I have fucked up with that promise I told her. Swearing that I'd never do things that everyone does. Shit that seems impossible, acting like I was perfect and incapable of doing wrong. This time I want to be more realistic with her. So I'm working on that," he confessed.

Boris took in everything he said, a bittersweet feeling coming over him. He was happy that Terry was trying to do better, but he still hated that no matter what, it would always be Terry that had Raji's heart. "You giving her a new ring too?" He asked, grabbing the plate that Heaven deemed his. Terry nodded, adding strawberries to his Beloved's plate. "I gotta go get it in a little while. I've had this planned for a week now," Terry said, grabbing the juice out the fridge.