Chapter Twenty-Seven: Matchmaker

Start from the beginning

Camille scoffed. That was probably the most absurd thing she'd ever heard, and so she dismissed it as she would any other insane comment and shifted the subject onto the group of other women in the room. "Any favourites?"

Mera allowed her eyes to skim the crowd and shook her head. "They're all the same to me...but the council seem satisfied with a few of them."

"Example?"

Mera started pointing near a golden dish of fish that looked to be wrapped in the body of a jellyfish. A mere few inches in front of it was a lady of fair complexion, with long wisps of umber streaked hair with highlights of ginger that gleamed beneath the lights of Atlantis. She had the kindest pair of coffee brown eyes Camille had ever seen, trimmed by long gorgeous lashes. This was only outdone by her florid cheeks and flawlessly sculpted lips, as if crafted by Poseidon himself. "Traule from Xebel. They say that she was blessed with the beauty of Poseidon's wife, Amphitrite. She's adored by her people, but a little too obedient for someone like Arthur."

Camille found herself staring at the Xebellian for longer than she'd originally planned. She was one of the most beautiful women Camille had ever stumbled upon. Mera smirked, waving her hand in the human's line of sight and breaking her gaze.

"Then there's Amatheia from Atlantis." The redhead took hold of Camille's helmet and moved her glance to the right until another woman came into view. Her tall frame and slender body was like something out of a Victoria secret catalogue. Her blue eyes, like the sea around her, were calm and clear. She had long, wavy blonde hair; so smooth and silky that it was almost like it was tailored from golden fabric. It took another moment for Camille to notice the shimmering, scaly tail that replaced her legs. It was dark purple, and had the effect of making the water around it look frothy. "She's less timid than Traule, but I doubt she'd be able to sympathise with the average Atlantean citizen. She's never left the wealthy part of the city."

The next person Mera motioned towards made Camille choke. It was loud, and harsh, and sounded more like a gag than anything. Maybe it was. This potential match for Arthur had the most unbelievable body; defined muscle lined her arms, legs, and abs with flattering bulk...but her face. It was like that of an Angler fish. Nothing but beady eyes and a gigantic mouth with sharp prong-like teeth. There was even a small speck of light, like a mini bulb, hanging over her forehead. Camille gulped down the bile that threatened to taint her tastebuds.

"Sorry." She managed to say without dry-heaving again. Camille felt incredibly guilty for her judgmental reaction, but it couldn't be helped. She still hadn't grown use to how some people evolved down there.

"Don't worry about it." Mera patted her shoulder in understanding. "I don't think Larnea heard you."

That was a relief to hear. If the possibility of offending her wasn't enough, Camille was also fairly certain that Larnea could have decapitated her with nothing more than a single bite. In an effort to distract herself, Camille averted her attention to the woman beside the Xebellian. This one looked normal enough, you know, apart from the long tentacles that sprouted from her abdomen. She had nothing that even resembled legs.

"Oh, that's Dujal." Mera spoke, noticing the confusion beginning to shadow over Camille's face.

A question lingered on the top of Camille's tongue, but this time she couldn't contain it. "How are they gonna...you know...produce an heir? That's pretty crucial down here, right?"

Mera blinked at least five times before remembering how foreign this all must have been to a surface-dweller. To anyone below land these appearances were fairly normal. "She still has all the right parts to do that. It's just...underneath."