CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

"...and Maria keeps flirting with the bartender, but it's just making things awkward," he says, before he's muffled. Maria lets out a shout of protest, clearly throwing something at Elliot, and they all dissolve into laughter for a moment, until Elliot pops up again. "Lula is texting Alcott boy -,"

"His name is Theo and -,"

Madison waits to feel bad and left out, but the feelings have completely faded away, and she's never felt so free. She smiles affectionately at the fun her friends are having, as Elliot continues.

"Whatever, Lula," Elliot says, cutting her off, "and we're still waiting for Audrey to come. You know that girl - I bet she got distracted by the Chanel store or something. You sure you don't want us to rescue you from this ball? Lula's great at lying to adults -,"

"She wasn't hugged enough as a child," Maria adds laughingly, and Madison hears Lula shout something incoherent as she dives for Maria. "Alright, alright, fine - Mr and Mrs Worthington are awesome, happy now, bitch?"

Madison is laughing. "They are the sweetest," she agrees. "They never complain, unlike some people I know, Maria."

"Complain about what?" Maria begins, pretending to sound affronted, before Elliot breaks in.

"Where is Audrey?" he says. "I need her to tell me what to say to this girl."

Madison frowns. "Use your usual charm."

Lula bursts into the conversation happily. "It's not working," she says, in a singsong, "because Elliot really likes this girl, Madison! I saw him blushing and everything!"

"And then you told me to tell her that she wasn't as ugly as you thought!"

"You didn't send that?" Madison says, gaping.

"Maria sent it!" Elliot's voice is affronted. "Maria?"

"Huh?" Maria's voice sounds strange. "Oh, yeah, sorry. It was meant to be a joke."

Madison furrows her brows at Maria's subdued voice, and she opens her mouth, before she sees the time. "Guys, I have to go," she tells them, "but keep me updated on everything. Elliot, apologise to the girl and tell her you like her hair or something sappy. Don't listen to Lula or Maria - their advice means nothing!"

She ends on the joke, to the burst of laughter and protests that flow from her phone. Still smiling affectionately, Madison gets ready to go.

*

When she sees Nick, Madison can't catch her breath.

He looks so smart and handsome, in his tux, even with the way that he has loosened his tie and rolled up his sleeves. If anything, Madison thinks, feeling hot all of a sudden as her gaze falls on his muscled arms, it just makes him look even better.

"You -," Nick begins, staring at her. It makes her feel rather flushed and Madison tilts her head towards him, waiting. "You look nice."

Nice?

Nice was so vanilla. Nice didn't even mean anything, she thought, her heart crushed.

It only serves to remind her that Nick doesn't like her that way.

"Of course I do," Madison tells him, not missing a beat and hiding her disappointment. "You look good yourself. For once." Her gaze falls on his hands, on the bandaged knuckles. "How are your hands?"

Nick glances down, as though he's forgotten about the fight with Mitchell.

Madison hasn't forgotten.