CHAPTER FIFTEEN

MADISON

She doesn't know how she ends up seated beside a red-cheeked Lula, who giggles at everything and chatters away to the lovesick Alcott boy next to her, cradling her bottle between her fingers, and Audrey, who is sobbing into her shoulder, because her favourite contestant was voted off The Bachelorette.

"He – he was just so hot, Madison!" Audrey wails into her shoulder.

Madison refrains from making a face and gingerly pats her hand against Audrey's shoulder, giving a sigh. "There, there," she says dryly.

Audrey's tears are soaking her silk dress and Madison tries to gently disentangle herself so that the silk is not ruined. But Audrey's fingers are like clamps and the bitch won't let go.

She's crying, "'m so glad you understand me, Madison. Kyle never does."

"What?"

Madison turns her head, momentarily distracted. But in the same moment, Lula shouts out for a game of Truth or Dare and she's met with raucous applause, as though she's won a Pulitzer Prize. Madison's brows are furrowed still, towards Audrey.

Audrey is gushing drunkenly, "Oh my God, Madison, I love Truth or Dare –,"

"What did you say about Kyle?"

Audrey's eyes brighten. "Kyle loves Truth or Dare, too!" she says excitedly. She leans in close to Madison, as though readying herself to spill a juicy secret, and her voice even attempts to become a dramatic whisper. "Kyle and I met during Truth or Dare. We got together, in Seven Minutes of Heaven."

She gives a laugh as if it's the funniest thing she's ever said. Madison is not amused.

"How romantic," she says, her lip curling.

Lula is calling for quiet as she spins the bottle and it lands on the Alcott boy beside her. "Truth," she asks, her words slurring slightly, "or dare?"

The Alcott boy leans forward, his eyes bright and contemplative. After a pathetic amount of attempts at stringing together a few coherent attempts that makes Madison almost roll her eyes, he announces victoriously, "Druth!"

There is a crow of triumph and victorious shouts that Lula attempts to die down. Madison lets out a cool hiss between her teeth as Audrey lolls against her shoulder. Lula is excited, her eyes bright and her cheeks flushed.

"Okay," she says, and begins to think. "What's – what's your dream girl like?"

"You," the Alcott boy says too quickly that he doesn't realise what he's said until after he's said it.

His cheeks flood an embarrassed, heavy red, as Madison narrows her gaze towards him. Everyone in the crowd laugh drunkenly and jeers at him hopelessly, the rumour mill already chugging. Lula is looking pleased at the compliment, flicking her hair casually and hitting someone in the face accidentally.

The Alcott boy is embarrassed but he's so drunk he can't remember why. He puts up a hand and says, "This competition is rigged."

Beside her, Audrey is moaning slightly. She gives a slight hiccup, her eyes bright as she lifts her head towards Madison, and suddenly, Madison is struck with a strange sense that Audrey wants to tell her something. Audrey's lips part, something curious flickering within the lights of her eyes, something helpless and yearning.

"...Audrey?" Madison murmurs, her brows furrowed lightly.

"Madison," Audrey begins in a mumble, before her face pales. "I – I feel sick."