CHAPTER SEVEN

MADISON

Elliot's brunch is a tasteful affair.

Rows of bone-white china plates are spread out across the long tables, all ready and shining and waiting. Soft music filters through the rooms and the air is sweet with the smells of fresh food. The waiters are already standing by with elegant plates filled with coffee cakes and bagels and cinnamon rolls, still steaming from the oven. The smell of honeyed pancakes and sweet crepes drift through the air as Madison enters.

When she enters Elliot's stately mansion, the waiting guests turn in awe, their eyes widening briefly when they recognise her. Madison doesn't bother to acknowledge the celebrities and the famous business folk, for none were invited to a Sutton party and therefore, she cannot be seen speaking with anyone less.

Maria is here before her and when she sees her, the Spanish girl's face breaks into a large, welcoming smile. Elliot joins them quickly, embracing them.

"Are we good, Madison?" Elliot asks, his eyes bright.

Madison breathes in his musky scent and says, "Do you mean, do I forgive your stupid ass?" She smiles briefly at him. "Yes."

He has to hurry away but he tells them to enjoy themselves as best they can. Maria laughs at them as she reaches for a bagel and spreads a thick layer of cream on it. She ignores the judgemental looks a few guests throw her but Madison tilts her head up and meets their gaze steadily, until they look away.

"Racist asses," Maria says laughingly, her accent deepening her voice deliberately when she makes her words loud enough to be heard.

Sure enough, the guests around them disperse, looking awkward, but Maria is barely fazed. Instead, the girl takes a leisure bite of her bagel, making eye contact with a boy Madison is sure is a prince of some European country, and makes certain to use her finger to slowly brush the cream from her lips before she licks her finger.

"I don't see how you don't get sick of it," Madison murmurs, eyeing Maria enviously.

Lucky bitch can eat anything without growing heavy like an elephant, unlike her. Maria shrugs. "You get used to it. If anything, I'm embarrassed for them. Who wears chinos to a brunch?" she punctuates before shaking her head. "So Mama is telling me that I sound like a dying dodo when I sing."

"Dodos are extinct," Madison says, her voice light.

"Well, I know that now," Maria says. "I can't help but think that – are you not going to eat, baby?" she breaks herself off to ask, her brows furrowing together at Madison.

Her stomach rumbles hungrily and Madison thinks briefly of how her mother had left the servants with the strict instructions of not to feed her daughter at any hour of the day, excepting one o'clock and then, only a light salad. She knows her mother wants only the best for her so Madison had held her tongue when Becky had given her the new orders, no longer fumbling over her words like a clumsy oaf. The Suttons had trained their housekeeper well.

Madison parts her lips to answer quickly and quietly, her usual answer of a diet, but Audrey arrives, roaring up in Kyle's Bentley. Kyle is waving at them and Audrey kisses her boyfriend hard, her cheeks flushed.

"I hate his stupid ass," Maria says jovially. She curls her lip as she waves cheerfully back at Kyle. "I was asking about the difference between my Gucci shirt and Yves Saint Laurent blouse and he said, and I quote, 'what's the point?'"

Madison lets out a hiss between her teeth. "What a dumbass."

Giving a humming noise of assent, Maria nods. "I don't know what Audrey sees in him. Plus his ass is flat."