CHAPTER FOURTEEN

NICK

When Jacob calls, Nick doesn't pick up.

He knows what Jacob's going to say and he waits to let the call ring itself out. But as soon as it does, Jacob calls again, persistent. Nick can feel his impatience and he knows that Jacob's not going to stop so he reaches out for his phone gingerly.

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU."

Letting out a slight hiss between his teeth, Nick winces. "Before you –,"

"ARE YOU CERTIFIABLY INSANE."

"Okay, I –,"

"You said you were done with Mitchell!" Jacob shouts through the phone, his voice echoing loudly.

Nick's jaw sets. "I had to send him a message," he says and he's never been so sure of himself. "Had to remind him that I can't be messed with, just because I've moved."

Jacob pauses for a while, letting his words sink in properly. When he speaks again, his voice is slightly calmer. "What did he do?"

"He attacked my mum's business," Nick says. "One of the warehouses. Black feathers all over the place, she said. You think I'm going to sit pretty when he's making an outright threat against me, against my mum?"

"So you mess with his?" Jacob thunders. "Mitchell doesn't like his stuff messed with, Nick! You're going to get yourself killed. You're going to get me killed!"

"Does he suspect me yet, then?" Nick asks.

Truthfully, Nick's not scared of Mitchell or any of his cronies. His reputation on the streets had marked him out as the lone wolf, the one whose wrath you don't risk, and he and most of the gangs had had some semblance of an understanding between them all. If anyone tried to fight him, it's the last mistake they'd ever make. Mitchell knows he's not to be messed with and in spite of anything Nick could ever say or do, Mitchell wouldn't dare to lose face by attacking Nick.

Plus Jacob's a hulking guy, just like him.

They can take care of themselves.

Jacob pauses again. "Not yet," he says, thoughtful. "But when the shipments stop coming in, he's going to know it's you. You're the only one who knows all about that drug address stuff he works with, Nick. He's going to know."

"Good. I'm counting on it." Nick smirks to himself.

"Nick?"

"What?"

"Whatever you're planning, whatever you're doing," Jacob says, letting out a sigh, "don't push Mitchell too far."

"I got it under control, Jakey."

*

He's got the vaguest sensation that he's not really supposed to be here.

It could be Madison's dark glare that lingers on him, the she-devil scowling at him so hard Nick thinks he'll burst into flames. Nick hands the butler his embossed invitation smugly, shoots her a very pointed smirk, and steps into the party.

It's really well organised, he'll give her that.

The ballroom is all wrapped up in this classy black and gold colour and usually, you'd think that all the streamers and the balloons and the touches of glitter scattered about the place would be tacky, but it's not. Like most things Madison touches, it's beautiful. All the kids from school are here but they're dressed like princes and princesses from different eras, as the invitation had decreed.