Through the Looking Glass

"Come on

"Come on. Let me show you around," he said and I went by Ben's side.

Ben had met me at the entrance of Winchester University where I had parked the car. We walked towards the inner circle of trees, benches, and surrounding buildings. It was this exact walk I had dreamt of doing most of my life. Here I was at last under very different circumstances but still here.

"Fair warning everyone is kind of gone by now. But they'll all be at a party later. They told me they'd love to meet you. But if you don't want to go we don't have to." Ben explained as we walked into the building.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Here we are," he said opening the door.

It wasn't a classroom but a room with cameras and a staged living room in the middle. As you walked in closer there was another door and this led into a smaller room with sound boards and controls. Desktops and monitors, speakers, a laptop. So many cables, a table, chairs, mics, were on the other side of a window.

"Woah I had no idea Winchester had something like this."

"It's a new program for media studies so everything is brand new."

"Sounds expensive."

"This mic cost almost $2,000."

"Shut up," I took my hand off of it and he laughed.

"Don't worry the warranty is good."

"Still. If you had any idea of how clumsy I can be you wouldn't let me in here."

"Really?"

"We'll it's not that I'm always clumsy but when I am it's usually life threatening," I tease him.

"It's okay I like to test the limits of my life."

"Sure boy scout. So is this where you put your talent to use?"

"And yours."

"Right. I expect my commission. What exactly do you do?"

"I go into there and people out here record me talking. That's it."

"That's it?"

"Yeah I don't really work the mic, or press the buttons, I'm just the talker."

"But you seem so shy," I teased him and he smiled. "So you read a script like an actor or how does this work?"

"No I write the segments. I just try to find the latest stories floating out there and dissect them more thoroughly."

"And what did you talk about today?"

"You."

"Me?" I asked confused.

"I talked about meeting the infamous playlist maker. And because live chatting is open people asked me questions about you. I didn't reveal your identity but if everyone seems to think I'm crushing on you at the party don't be too surprised."