Only Hope

It didn't take too long until mom decided the night was over and took me back home

It didn't take too long until mom decided the night was over and took me back home. We drove back with screams and speeches of everything I'd done wrong. As it was made clear I had ruined my life with my own two hands. I had decimated my parents' plans for me. After years of efforts and sacrifice on the very apex of everything coming to fruition I had fallen and I would never see the top of this hill again.

I sat up for most of the night looking at the board filled with Winchester college paraphernalia. Then after taking it down and throwing it in the trash I did the usual bed time routine. Except I didn't sleep. I saw the sun rise again and I couldn't very well believe myself it was over. The guilt set over me like a shadow I couldn't get away from and then it was time for church.

I sat on the pew once more, next to my mother who didn't even as much exchange two words with me. Dad patted my hand once but also didn't know what to do or say but I could see the pity in his eyes. He knew what I'd done and he was sorry to see his only daughter mess everything up. It didn't hurt me as I much I hurt them so I knew better than to even try to say anything. There was no justification big enough to fit the crime. But if I just stayed quiet and let things go then my only hope was it would all blow over with time.

"Can I walk back from here?" I asked dad when we passed by the park on the way home.

Dad stopped the car and let me out. I knew it was a bit cold but I still needed the walk. This beaten path under my feet kept making me come back here. I was so lost in a familiar place. Then a small whirlwind of orange and brown leaves fell on me like rain. Some got caught on my hair and the rest fell to the floor. I felt too bad to step on them after all they had just died, they were now ashes of what they used to be so I got down and pushed them away with my hand. I couldn't very well trample over them as if they were nothing. They were something so beautiful even in their end they colored this cold world with warmth. I picked out a red leaf and saved for myself to remind me that even nature bled, even nature met its end and I wanted to be this graceful during mine.

"Emily," Adam called me out of my trance and I looked up teary eyed.

"Hi," I got up and walked away from the leaves without stepping on them.

"What did you just do?" He asked me.

"Nothing. That's the best thing I can do now."

"So you're alone?" He asked as we walked together.

"Um hm." I nodded then he grabbed my hand then put it in his pocket. I looked at him taken back by the gesture but he did it like it was no big deal. It was so weird how normal it was for him to do little things like this I couldn't imagine doing with someone else this comfortably.

"So how are things?"

"Um..." I thought about a good word to describe it. "I can't think of a word."

"How are your parents?"