cart in my legs and steak in my heart

I am so sorry, I've  told her not to stand on the cart while it was moving and she knows she  won't be able to stop it fast enough if she does -"

Sam cut off her rambling, "it's alright, it didn't hurt that much." She looked at him baffled.

"What do you mean it didn't hurt that much?! Annie literally slammed the cart into your legs how could it not hurt?"

Sam ignored his wolf  chanting her name in his head repeatedly. "It's not a big deal, don't  worry about it. What is your name, again?" She huffed.

"Fine. And it's Bella, this brat's name is Lorainne. Only I'm allowed to call her Annie, though, so if you ever see her again you call her Lorainne."

Sam was sitting down on  one of the island chairs, resting his head in his hands with his elbows  on the counter. He was listening to Charlie Swan's heavy breathing and  fast beating heart as the two counsel members explained to him  everything that was going on after they had Sam shift to show Charlie so  he would actually believe them.

"This isn't something  we normally do, Charlie. We don't tell outsiders about this," Sam heard  Harry tell his friend. Charlie decided to scoff.

"Then why are you  telling me this?" He asked, to which Sam sighed then walked over to the  island in Sue's kitchen and placed his head in his hands.

"Because your  daughter's now a part of this. Not Bella," He heard Billy say to  Charlie, and Sam figured the Chief of Police had a look on his face that  made Billy clarify.

"It's Lorainne."

Sam didn't want to face  the police officer, not scared, really, but anxious for his reply to all  of this. He knew it could - 99% sure it would - go one way. Where  Charlie forbid Sam from ever being near Lorainne, most likely even going  as far as putting a restraining order against him.

The other possibility,  which Sam didn't really think had a chance, was Charlie knowing what was  going on, but not fully understanding everything, but allowing Sam to  see her at least once or twice a week - under Charlie's supervision, of  course. Not that Sam would ever do anything to Lorainne.

"It isn't anything romantic, Charlie. I promise you that. The age difference plays a huge  part in it. He'll be like a brother to her right now, taking care of her and making sure nothing happens to her. Be her best friend, in a  sense."

"You say right now," Charlie began, and Harry cut him off.

"Right now as in, Sam isn't going to age as long as he's shifting into a wolf. So later on, when she's old enough -"

"Okay! I really don't  want to talk about this right now! Let's just focus on the brother part.  I think. I don't know. This is all so sudden, I need time to process."  Billy nodded towards his friend, then wrote an address on a piece of  paper.

"When you're done  processing everything, this is Sam's address. If you want, or if you're  okay with it, because we all know Sam will not ever let anything happen  to her, this is his address." Charlie took the paper.

Sam then felt a hand on his back. He turned to see Charlie. "Son, you have to understand, this is -"

"Hard, I know. I'm sorry." Charlie shook his head.

"Not your fault. I need a day or two."