#11 Past and Present

(Sky's POV)

"But what about Sky's age? He doesn't look three", Jason asks. "That's probably because he was in his wolf form for so long. He aged mentally in his wolf form over the last three years. It wouldn't make sense for a full grown wolf to transform into a human baby. Now that Sky is human, his wolf form probably won't age very much", Seto explains. My head is still spinning from all of this. It's a lot to take in at once.

"I...... Where did I even come from if I wasn't born in the pack? I can't remember anything before my first rabbit hunt, when I was only nine months old", I ask Seto. "It's hard to say why you ended up with a wolf pack, but you should know that your not even a full wolf", he tells me. "How? He looks like a wolf to me....", Mitch mumbles. "Did you see how Sky has all the extra fluff around his neck when in wolf form? That's a dog feature; a husky to be specific. Sky also acts way too friendly to be a purebred wolf Shape-shifter", Seto keeps talking, moving over to shelves full of the pages wrapped in leather, "Fortunately for you, Shape-shifter blood lines were often tracked, either for history sakes or otherwise, so I can probably find out who your parents were".

The Sorcerer pulls down one of the leather objects, and sets it on the table with a loud thunk. It's gotta be the width of my tail at least. "Shape-shifters wrote down their family lineage? That's a bit like the Zemrlt do", Jason points out. "Shape-shifters were originally from Liblicen. Most nonhuman creatures are",Quinten says. Throughout the conversation, Ian's been quietly standing at the back of our group. He and Seto probably don't get visitors too often.

I walk over to stand next to Seto and pear over his shoulder. He's quickly flipping through the pages, and I catch glimpses of people and animal faces. Seto suddenly stops on a set of pages covered by wolves, coyotes, and a young looking lab. "Ok, I should find something about your family here, Sky. Do you believe that your birth name was Sky?", Seto asks me. "I mean, I think so. It's engraved onto the amulet I have", I say, grabbing onto the chain around my neck. Seto flips through a few more pages before stopping. "This book has all known Shape-shifters and some information about them. Since your a mix between a Wolf and a husky, your name is probably listed twice", Seto explains. All of as crowd around him and the book.

The print is so mall that I can't even read it, not that I can read. Seto seems to have no problem with this as he runs a finger down the names. "Sky Adam Dalghberg- Wolf/Husky mix. Page 437", he suddenly speaks up. I'm actually listed? Is that really my name? I've never even hear of this 'book' and now it has information about my family? I thought that I knew my family. I'm a wolf..... aren't I? It's all I've ever known. Seto turns more pages, and votes into a section with ten pages divined into pieces.

"Sky Adam Dalghberg. Wolf and Husky Shape-shifter mix. Shape-shifter mark: 'X' located on right shoulder", Seto reads. "Yeah, that's Sky", Ty nods. "Parents: James Dalghberg, Husky (brown) mark- 'X' on back of neck. Lydia Kaleson, Wolf (white) mark- '8' on front leg", Seto says. And their it is. Proof of my true heritage. Those are my parent names. Seto keeps talking, "All three Shape-shifters killed from a hunter's attack. Sky parishes at 3 months old". I'm stuck with my thoughts as the other keep talking. "A white wolf with an eight on the leg? I think I might have met Sky's mother", Ty gasps in amazement. "They're both dead? And Sky's marked dead as well?", Jerome asks again. "Sky must have somehow escaped and ended up either the wolf pack", Jason mumbles. "Hunters? Is Sky still in danger!?", Mitch asks. "I've never seen a Shape-shifter before. I'm sorry about your family", Ian says from the corner.

This all happening too quickly. I don't belong here. Panic seems to rise up my throat. It's hard to understand that my life is suddenly not mine. What life was I meant to have? I'm three years old, but now I'm apparently 19!? I can't handle all of this right now. I shouldn't of come here. Ignorance was better than knowing the truth. And so I run.

"Sky!", someone yells as I bolt. I sprint out the library and straight out the door. It occurs to me that their are traps scattered everywhere, but I don't care. I just want to get away. People are chasing after me into the trees. They'll probably catch me like this. But I'm not human like them. I shift mid-stride, lansing on all fours and still running.