#1 SkyWolf

(Many years later)

(SkyWolf's POV)

I pant as I run after my sister, who is chasing our mom, Sasha. We're racing back to camp after we had each caught two rabbits. It was a good hunt, and the pack would be well fed. It was every wolf's job to protect the pack and make it stronger by playing your role. Sasha, my sister Rosebud, and I are hunters. We all have slimmer builds, and have darker fur to blend in. Our dad, NightHawk, is a cave-guard. He has light brown fur, with wide shoulders and a strong build. Most cave-guards do. Then there was the pups, who stayed with their mothers. A female wolf stops hunting when they are nursing pups, like my Mom when she was taking care of RoseBud and I. We're older now, and don't need to be watched. Then, of course, we have out pack leader, NightGale. She has a snowy white pelt, that covers the strong muscle on her body. She makes sure everyone is doing their job. But of course we are, why wouldn't anyone not want to serve the pack?

As we enter the clearing, I can see many wolves lying around, or sharing some meat. We take the rabbits to the kill pile, and we all wander off on our own ways. Sasha goes and sits with NightHawk, and RoseBud sits with her mate, WhiteThorn. I go and sit by myself, watching the pups play. I shake the dust from my black fur, just waiting for night fall. We all are. Tonight will be a full moon, so the whole pack is coming to look out rock to howl. I can't wait!

(Time skip)

Once the moon was out, and all of us had eaten, the 30 wolves that made up our pack, went to the tallest spot of our territory to howl. A wolf's howl was a special song, a song unique to each wolf. The howl tells the joys and sorrows of the wolf. It is the greatest joy to tell the world how you feel, and that your not giving up. As I sit down, I think about how I'm feeling right now. I feel joy from being with my pack, I feel sad that I couldn't catch a third rabbit for the pups, but I'm mostly lonely. I do my roll in the pack, but I always feel as if I don't belong. As the first wolf howls, we all join in. Our combined voices tell of our love for each other, and the love of being together. A wolf's howl tells its deepest emotions, and we do it together.

We howl the songs for hours, long into the night. We all eventually started heading back towards the cave, one by one. It was custom after a howl to spend time alone, renewing our loyalty to each other. I slip away from the rock, taking a different trail then the other wolves. I wanted to be alone.