Chapter One

Wasn't life just one great ball sunshine? I mean, with an overwhelming, crushing feeling that something bad was going to happen soon, wasn't life a lovely thing?

  In all honesty, I could care less about anything. Anything besides my Mom and seven-year-old siblings.

  I was currently sitting at my rundown wooden desk, sketchbook in hand, concentrating on a drawing I have been working on for weeks.

  It was of a forest, a dark, lowly lit forest. With winding branches and a leaf-littered ground. In the center was a shadow, a furry figure, blurred around the center, only the outline was slightly more prominent. It was like a picture that had been taken with a low-quality camera. The shape was wolf-like but unclear.

  No matter how much I tried to figure out how it should look, I always came up empty. It was as if I had artist's block, it wasn't only writers who had this struggle, believe me.

  "Aspen!" Zadie called in a sing-song voice. I was definitely not in the mood for one of my sister's crazy theories.

  She struggled with the doorknob, for it wasn't a very traditional one. When she finally managed to crack it open,  the look on her face had me on edge immediately.

  "What is it, Zadie?" I questioned

impatiently. This was no joking matter. What if something bad was happening, or if something had already gone horribly wrong. My protective, defensive nature was a product of the deal I was dealt. We were dealt.

  "Umm. I don't know. Mom told me to come to get you, she said it was important!" From the look on Zadie's face, it wasn't too urgent, but I couldn't take any chances.

  I sprung from my chair, almost knocking into my desk, rushing out my door. Not bothering to close the door behind me.

  I had run so vigorously, by the time I'd reached the living room on my way to the front door where I could hear the commotion, I was nearly out of breath. The reminders the living room caused slowing me down. This was my least favorite part of the house, the memories stubbornly refusing to let me free.

  Several nights a week I would experience horrific nightmares of the confrontation, although these realities didn't end the way it actually had. These possibilities of what could've happened if I wasn't there, haunted me.

  I could see by the look in his eyes that night, he wouldn't have stopped. Goddess knows what he would've done if I had failed. He wouldn't have stopped once finishing Mom and me off, no, he was power hungry. He would of-

  My ranting thoughts cut off once I reached the hallway leading to the door. It was open, Mom standing aside to leave room for the she-wolf in question.

  Her short sandy blonde hair blowing in the slight breeze, she wore a colorful crop top, paired with white high-waisted jeans. Her blue-brown eyes showed a range of emotions, from regret to excitement, while her mouth curved in an uncertain half-smile.

   I froze in my steps in complete and utter shock. She was one of the last people I expected to see, from the past year I was never contacted by anyone. I kept inside, to myself. Concern took over her features, while she lifted her hand in a shy wave.

  "Hey, Aspen." She spoke. It seemed like forever that I'd heard her speak to me. To be fair, it had been a little over a year.

  "Ember," I muttered, still in shock. "How- Why?" I was confused as to why she'd be here.

  "I'll leave you two here to talk," Mon said politely. She left in an obvious hurry, I could pick up the sounds of her feet scurrying about the kitchen.

  :::

  Ember and I were seated outside on the steps that lead to the door. Enough room between us for another wolf to fit.

  "Why?" That was all it took for her to jump into her explanation.

  "My dad didn't want me talking to you....the months after the....accident." She began, and I instantly stilled.

"You...changed. You weren't the same trying-to-be-their-best she-wolf I'd once been best friends with....." She trailed off. I knew what she meant, I had changed...a lot.

"My parents decided it would be best if I...er...stayed away from you. They said you would be a bad influence on me. Even on your eighteenth birthday, I begged and pleaded them to let me see you. They denied...obviously." She ended.

   "But why show up now? After a whole year and almost a half. Why now." I asked puzzled.

  "How do you not know!?" She said alarmed.

  "Know.....?" I trailed off, urging her to continue.

  "Today's your nineteenth birthday, silly. How'd you forget?" She stated matter-of-factly.

  "I guess I haven't really been.....thinking about that..." I muttered.

   "Well, I'll have to do something about that. Won't I?" Ember grinned. I knew from the look on her face, she had something planned, and I couldn't help but let on a small smile myself.

  "What'd you have in mind, Ember?" Judging by the flash of sadness that passed over her, she was confused and a little hurt I hadn't used the nickname I gave her, Em.

  "I was thinking.....!" She began, all traces of the previous emotions are forgotten. "We could go into the human town together! It would be fun!"

I didn't reply, what was I suppose to say? 'Oh, I'm sorry I can't go because of things I don't want to tell you. Even though we were best friends since we were five.'

   "We....er.....dodon't have to go if you don't want to..." She answered for me upon noticing my hesitance.

  "No, no! I didn't mean that! I-I.." I panicked.

"I-I'll goes," I said, hiding my utter distaste for the human world.

  "Eeeeeee!!!" She squeaked.

   If only I had known what would happen by agreeing to this. If only I had known my life would change so drastically...

If you thought it was okay at least,  vote, comment. Please.