Let's Go On Adventure

Bucky was on the roof. It was a balmy night, with a warm, playful breeze tugging at his ponytail, and he sat, cross-legged, gazing up at what stars he could find while he waited for Steve to come to him. And Bucky knew Steve would come to him. He'd left enough clues for Steve to follow, and he knew Steve knew that now was the time to come up and see him.

It was a beautiful night for a surrender, and Bucky wanted nothing more than to be with Steve again. He couldn't help but smile as he heard the stair door open, turning his head toward the sound, heart racing in hit chest.

"Hi." Steve shuffled over and knelt next to Bucky. Bucky smiled even wider, but said nothing. Steve eyed him curiously. "You let me find you."

"Yeah, I did." Bucky looked back up at the sky. "Are you going to arrest me?"

"Natasha wants me to," Steve admitted. "She seems to think that keeping you off of the streets would be the first step to government stability."

"She's not wrong." Bucky picked at a hangnail on his pinkie. "Capturing me would certainly raise morale."

"Interesting. None of all of the HYDRA stuff was willing, was it...?"

"Oh no, it was definitely forced. You really think I would want to kill a president?"

Steve huffed. "You're not trying to scare of, are you?"

"Nope. Just statin' a fact. But I'm guessing you don't want to arrest me?"

"I want to disappear."

Bucky gave him an appraising look. "Really. Why come to me, then? You could take plenty of tips from Natasha. Or you could at least read a book on going off the grid."

"Let me clarify," Steve said. "I want to disappear with you."

"Lil' ol' me?" Bucky faked a shocked look and put his hand on his chest. "Why, I'm flattered, Stevie."

"I'm serious. I miss the old days, just you and me against the world."

Bucky gnawed his thumbnail. "I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm not him anymore, the old Bucky. I left him behind in an old recruiting center and Brooklyn."

"Then it's a good thing I'm not the old Steve Rogers, isn't it?" Steve stood. "Are you going to let me go with you?

"Hmm," Bucky tapped his chin. "Do I really want to do this? Go on the run with my best friend who saved me from torture and memory erasure? Or do I was to live in constant fear of being killed or arrested in a shitty hotel room?" Bucky snorted. "Hell yeah, I'll let you go with me."

Steve blinked. "That. That was a lot easier than I thought it would be."

"I've had a lot of time to remember everything."

Steve tilted his head to the side. "Is the asset still part of you?"

"It's not like that."

"Yeah? What's it like then?"

"I'm still the asset. I killed Howard Stark. I killed John Kennedy. It was unwilling, but a gun doesn't have a choice over who it shoots. I was a weapon- an asset- but you made me human again."

"Like Beauty and The Beast." Steve smiled. Bucky grabbed Steve's arm and used it to pull himself up. "You callin' me a lamp?"

"A candelabra, actually."

Bucky snorted, then burst into laughter. Steve wrinkled his nose and smiled confusedly. "What? What's so funny?"

"No, no, it's just..." Bucky wheezed, "I'm imagining you in a glittery yellow dress now."

After a moment, Steve chuckled. "Do I look good, at least?"

Bucky snorted. "Yellow's not your color, Stevie. You'd look better in blue."

"If you say so." Steve huffed and pulled Bucky into a hug. "It's good to see you, Buck."

"You too, Steve." Bucky shoved his hand into Steve's back pocket.

Steve jumped back. "What the fu-"

Bucky held up Steve's StarkPhone. "Nice phone."

"Yeah, thanks." Steve held his hand out. "Can I have it back now?"

"Nope." Bucky crushed the phone with his metal hand and sprinkled the remains over the edge of the roof. "First rule of going on the run, destroy anything that can traced. A StarkPhone equals carrying a beacon around in your back pocket." He pulled out his flip phone. "But this? Zero sentimental attachment, cheap as hell, and easily destroyed."

Steve huffed. "I didn't need a phone anyway."

"Sure you didn't." Bucky grinned and punched Steve's shoulder. "You ready to go? Natasha'll track you to the last place the phone was, so we should probably get going."

"Yeah, I'm ready." Steve took a deep breath. "Let's go on an adventure, Buck."