Chapter Thirty Eight: Our Clandestine Activity

Start from the beginning

I pulled out my phone and was about to text Chad when he tagged me in a post on Instagram. Reluctantly, I opened the app and gawked at his latest post. Chad took a selfie at the beer pong table, during a game. His partner had his back faced to him with a little ball in his hand as he aimed. People crowded around the table and watched but what really drew my attention was Carter and me across the table. 

We seemed so out of it, well myself mostly. Our sides pressed together as we watched Chad's partner. Carter had his arm loosely around my shoulder with his head tilted so that I could lean my head correctly on his chest. My eyes were barely open, but a smile plastered on my lips as I hugged myself. I couldn't tell if Carter was drunk, but he couldn't have been since he brought me back to the dorm. Chad grinned into the camera, his pearly white teeth exposed to the world as well as his sharp features. He was definitely Dmitri's brother with that expression. I scrolled through the comments where people either complimented Chad or boasted about the party. I assumed the Halloween party would be held there since people couldn't wait to return. My thumb was about to double-tap when I received a call from Levi. A smile broke onto my face when I answered it.

"Hey, princess! Miss me already? How's college life? Was it everything you've ever wished for?"

"Of course, I miss you, Levi," I mumbled as I appeared on my floor and began to walk down the hall. "It's great here, lectures are running smoothly, people are nice, and it's different...I feel better."

"That's good, how's your roommate?"

"Still a bitch, it's like she's waiting for me to just fuck a guy in front of her!"

"Well, give her what she wants, maybe then she'll shut up." I pictured the smirk on Levi's face and playfully rolled my eyes, but he gasped dramatically before I could say anything, "Or have you already? And if so, why wasn't informed about this breakthrough?"

"No, Levi, don't be ridiculous." I scoffed and entered my dorm room which thankfully didn't have her in it. "She even gets pissed off when Carter's in the room too long."

"The real question is, will she piss herself once she sees mwah?" Levi exclaimed loudly as I laughed and flopped down on my bed.

"Maybe...who knows, you'll have to find out," I said but stopped myself because that might've sounded wrong. Levi chuckled and before he could retort I asked, "How are things that side?"

"Ehh...same old, same old, work either in the morning or afternoon then studying, Keene comes home from work around eight then we decide whether to cook, get takeout or visit a household before they have dinner, so they have no choice but to include us."

"How cruel of you two and let me guess, one of those houses include my parents?"

"Of course!" Levi chirped but then his voice grew small when he spoke next, "Of course they would because they miss you princess and we're close to you as they can get. Sometimes we'd be talking, and it's like...we knew you better than them."

I didn't know what to say to that. Mom and dad gave me whatever they could whenever I needed yet I couldn't provide them with the exposure to know me. I've kept so much from them that it ached me sometimes to spill everything, especially when they treated me so well. In the past few months, we barely had family time, just us three, no friends, no Uncle Griff or the Radcliffs.

"I try to call them once a week but next time you see them, tell them I say hi and that I miss them."

"Will do, but I don't think we'll see them tonight because Axel invited us to his fight."

"He still does that?" my voice was barely audible on the phone, but I knew Levi heard me when he sighed. "Wait, does that mean you guys still meet up there and then what? Go racing?"