Chapter Thirty Seven: Their Own Predilections

READ UNTIL THE END FOR EXCITING NEWS! 

Song: Holloway Road

Artist: Tara Carosielli 

Their Own Predilections

Blake

Ursula and I walked the streets of Minneapolis on a chilly Friday evening. Her car was parked in an entirely different lane from where we had started. We tried to look for a food joint both of us could agree on, and so far, it hadn't gone well.

"Okay, what about a Malaysian restaurant?" she pointed up at the dimly lit place that managed to lure in many customers. I shook my head and walked past without looking back which made her groan.

"Too many people, which means we'll wait longer," I called out and eyed the many retail stores we'd pass, hoping to find a takeout place.

"What about fish with fries?" I heard the heels of her boots clack behind me and a few seconds later she appeared next to me. I looked down and met her eyes that were almost covered with the gray beanie she wore. "Can't go wrong with that."

"Vera made salmon for breakfast yesterday," I said which made Ursula groan louder as she began to massage her temples. We've been at it for almost half an hour, and I wasn't sure whether she groaned because of me or to try and cover up whenever her stomach growled. I looked ahead at the fish and chips place she suggested and noticed that they didn't just sell fish. It was a proper takeout place that sold everything, from burgers to pizzas to seafood platters.

"Alright, we'll go there," I muttered while Ursula clapped and let out a squeal. She skipped ahead of me, the pompom of her beanie bobbed up and down as she went past the people and toward the glass doors.

My phone began to ring in my pocket as I made my way over to her. I pulled it out of my jeans pocket, hoping it'd be Lana but it was Carter. I looked up and did a dismissive wave of my hand toward Ursula who held the door for me. She rolled her eyes and walked in while I answered the call in the chilly weather.

"Hey, what's up?" I tried to sound nonchalant like I didn't care about what they're up to, especially Lana, she told me to move on, and that's what I tried to do.

"Hey, nothing much...just studying and sh*t." Carter sighed as I raised a brow.

"You're studying on a Friday night?" I carefully leaned against the thick glass and added, "Is Yale hitting you that much?"

"No, well...not right now but that's mostly what I've been doing, you know? Either stuck in my dorm room or busy working."

"You got a job?"

"Yeah, it's nothing big, just this shoe store a few blocks away from our dorm." He trailed off, and I checked my phone to see if he hung up, but my side was fine.