Chapter Thirty Eight: Our Clandestine Activity

Start from the beginning

"You just a had a good time—well we stopped you before you had too much." He flicked through his clothing that hung neatly as he decided what to wear then tilted his head to Carter. "Then Halls took care of you."

"Carter, why aren't you talking?" I insisted and collapsed on his bed. He was about to type on his laptop, but when I inched closer to him, he leaned back in his chair and made himself small in his red hoodie. "What happened last night?"

"Nothing happened."

"Then what's the—" I trailed off when I noticed Chad looking at us. His eyes widened when I turned to him, and he quickly slipped on a casual sweater. Carter continued to stare at his screen, so I watched Chad the entire time. He was nervous about his actions. He struggled to put on his boots, almost toppled over in the process and when he grabbed his car keys from his bedside table, they slipped from his hold.

"I'll be going." Chad finally said once he gathered himself and gave me one last smile before he shut the door.

"Carter, please talk to me," I begged after I counted to ten in my head so that I knew that we were alone. He didn't even look at me once. I stretched out my hand, an attempt to touch his arm but he flinched and turned away.

"How did I get this hickey?" I yelled and rose to my feet. I didn't care that people could hear me now. I was frustrated but most of the part, anxious to know what happened. My only real friend here, couldn't look me in the eye. Barely spoke to me.

My eyes widened and looked down at him in horror. A million scenarios ran through my head, but only one made sense at the time. I let out a gasp but tried to cover it by biting the inside of my cheek. That apparently failed when Carter finally looked up at me.

"Was I raped?" I let out a shaky breath, and Carter jumped up from his seat and almost knocked me over if I hadn't stepped to the side.

"No!" he forced out, and I waited for him to say something else. To finally explain what happened last night. What I did last night after I decided to get myself drunk. His lips moved, but nothing came out.

"Okay, then," I mumbled and looked down at my Doc. Martens that were drawn in because of how dejected I felt. I didn't look up once when I walked past him and headed for the door.

"Lana, wait," Carter called out when I opened the door. I looked over my shoulder and waited but again, nothing. He let out a sigh and looked down, to his laptop, out the window, at Chad's side of the room, anywhere but me. I shut the door behind me without saying anything and strolled down the hall. 

I thought of another way to remember what happened last night. It wouldn't just pop into my head unless I went back to Zeta's house and tried to recall the events that occurred. That or I could stare at the hickey through the mirror while my roommate shook her head in disappointment in the background. I had contemplated both of them by the time I reached the stairs but stopped when I remembered Chad. I could just ask him. Clearly, he knew when he realized Carter, and I needed time alone to talk about it. Talk about what exactly? That's what I wanted to know!

Lights Out BoysOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara