22 | 𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕞𝕪 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

Start from the beginning

Having my mate and his backup in the same room gave me a sense of security but with Caine so close and Adora's words about fighting in my mind, I restrained the urge to speak. I can't be the reason there's a fight. My presence seems to have already done enough. I shake my head. Looking pleased, Caine refocuses on Logan. "What do you want, pup?"

The werewolf who had walked towards us had been watching the display with curiosity and some indignation. Now he looks at peace, his eyes solely on me. "Maybe my Alpha's mate back? She doesn't belong to you, shithead. You obviously don't know how to take care and appreciate nature's gifts to you." The man, Logan, digs at Caine's loss of a mate and the rumor that insists that Caine's only a hybrid because he didn't think being a werewolf was enough. I had heard this rumor from being at the castle too.

Caine lunges forward. Now, only a mere step away from being nose to nose with Logan, he hisses out a warning. "You better run back to your pathetic excuse of a leader with your tail between your legs, mutt, because she is mine and I can tear you apart in seconds."

I don't even realize that I am speaking until the words are tumbling out of my mouth and everyone's watching me. I refrain from hiding behind Caine as all eyes hone onto me. "Why do all males think I'm an object that can be owned? I'm a f#cking person." The hybrid's eyes narrow to slits as he assesses me. In a low whisper, he warns me about a future punishment for my words. I hate how he's become an entirely different person now that we're away from the castle. It's not right. I try not to gulp nervously at his threat. 

An almost peaceful silence resides over the room now and I refrain from sighing in relief. Hopefully my body won't betray me again if there's nothing to talk about. But then the attention's finally drawn back to Adora, the one who was supposed to be executing this meeting. "Now that we're done here, let's continue on, shall we?"

I make eye contact with the man I was originally destined to be with one last time before continuing onward through the long, dark, winding corridors, behind Adora and her witches, leading to a large conference room. Caine walks unbearably close behind me, to the point of utter disgust and horror creeping up my spine from the memories of the 'Alessandra' scenario.

I sit beside Caine when he pats the seat next to him with a dark look(I obviously didn't have a choice). With a grimace, I recline against the back of the chair just as Caine's hand finds my bare leg which Lucas catches from a  few seats over with his ever-so-observant glowering gaze. Rolling my eyes at the whole situation, I look to the end of the table at Adora and two other witches, waiting with bated breath, for them to speak.

"We have called you here because we heard news of this big supernatural war. Rather than getting all of the other species involved in the battle, the witches of the world have decided to not pick a side. As you all know, we are nature's servants, meant to maintain the balance between the good and the bad. A hybrid is a flaw of nature." She speaks in an airy voice, her eyes resting on each and every male in the room before finally falling upon me. "Therefore, there's a risk in mating with Melanie as the hybrid that you are Rogue Prince Caine." Caine hisses at her words, making his displeasure known. Adora waves her arm casually, sealing his mouth. "However, like I said, we will not interfere with fate. We will follow along with what's written in store for all of you. A fair warning, however. Melanie will not be involved in this at all, except for what destiny has in store for her. "

As if someone's death sentence had been announced, voices begin calling out their opinions immediately. Most people are witches and wolves in support of Adora's words. Caine and Lucas lock themselves in a silent staring contest. But there are still some witches with greed for a war written all of their faces, claiming that I should be more involved, along with the witch community.