34 | 𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕖

chapter 34
___
"ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴄᴏʟᴅ ʜᴀɴᴅꜱ. ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ʟᴏɴɢɪɴɢ ᴀᴡᴀʏ. ɪ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴍʏ ʟɪꜰᴇ. ɪ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ꜰɪɴᴅ ᴀɴᴀʟᴏɢɪᴇꜱ. ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏɴᴇ."

Alessandra told me everything

Alessandra told me everything. When I say that, I don't mean it lightly. She spilled her guts out to me, assuming that I'll most likely never leave this camp or their grasp, alive. She reveals how Caine didn't quite want her because of her unhealthy obsession with Lucas and the fact that she's a witch. Her being a witch threatened the chances of Caine having a werewolf-vampire hybrid child. And so the hybrid male needs me, to continue his tragically sinful family line. After all, the werewolf race can only reproduce with the person a higher power like the Moon Goddess has destined them with: their mate or beloved or whatever.

I'm not sure I like the idea of not being able to return to my mate, especially after suggesting I might be able to forgive him for his very stupid decisions in trying to keep me safe. I want to be able to tell him that he's already been forgiven, after what I've seen other men do to their soulmates. I want to get to know his reasons and why he couldn't just tell me instead of keeping me in the dark. I want a happy ending, just for once in my life since I met Lucas. Is this how Lucas has felt his entire life, wanting to feel loved and not wanting to endure any more loss?

There's still a major part of me that thinks I'm better off on my own. If my wolf wasn't absent, I'd definitely ask her for her opinion, no matter how snarky it may be.

The witch told me about she had been planning on killing Lucas months ago, when she returned to his Pack to see if he would take her back. But he hadn't and treated her "so bitchily" that she finalized her decision to wipe out everything he cares about: me, his Pack, his family, and then finally him. She told me about her pristine plan to do so, but first she needed me and Caine, so she went to ask for forgiveness. 

Rather than accepting her amends, Caine had brutally killed her though, throwing a wrench in her plans, but Alessandra had already been anticipating that. So before sauntering back into Caine's life, she had wiped out an entire town of nine hundred residents for her one life, just so she could ensure that she would come back and not stay dead. Sheesh desperate, much? How could she just get away with massacring so many innocent people in order to do a revival spell thingy?

By this time, Alessandra noticed me slowly inching away from her (who wouldn't move away from the sadistic psycho? I swear her and Caine are made for each other) as she animatedly talked, so of course she got angry and tied my arms back uncomfortably around a tree. It looked like I was hugging yet another tree, not that I mind because they give me oxygen for my lungs. But here I thought nature had finally accepted me as a friend, when I felt not just one, but six pinecones lodged against my legs and ass. Great. If Jackson was here, he'd make so much fun of me. And then my mind flashes back to how I had stepped on that pinecone, so long ago, just before meeting my mate. I let out a sigh, hanging my head.