Escape

Annabelle and Jason managed to run around the corner just in time as they heard the voices, that reached Rafael. He led the guards alertly in the opposite direction. Both travellers ran through the contorted and identical looking corridors without running into somebody. Annabelle broke into a cold sweat as she looked through the window just to see a dozen of white uniforms which spread below in the streets. From afar she saw the aviators in their tower. Jason gasped out of breath but Annabelle continued running without taking a pause. She didn't dare to take the elevators and sprinted downstairs. The further they got the more people they ran into, but there were no guards yet. Abruptly she opened a side door and pulled Jason inside. She hoped to have interpreted to sign right and exhaled in ease as they found themselves between neatly folded uniforms. Behind the shelves there were noises from spinning washing machines. Annabelle glanced from behind the shelf and saw the massiv devices which were controlled by dainty women and men in grey. Nobody seemed to have noticed them and Annabelle got up on her tiptoes to reach for the brown leather. With a jerk she pulled down two uniforms and handed Jason the bigger one.

»Put it on« she hissed. Adrenalin rushed through her veins and she shivered as she ripped her leather jacket off of her and put on the uniforms. As a precaution she took out her gold card and shoved it down the side pocket of the leather uniform in which she could barely breath because of how tight it was. Jason took off his pullover and out on the brown jacket which hung loose. Annabelle listened but no one came as she put on the leather pants over her jeans. Her pant slipped up but she didn't mind because the washing machines stopped spinning. Jason put on the pants and Annabelle peaked out the door into the corridor. The leather jacket and pullover she shoved between the folded uniforms and they fled the small room before they could be noticed by the staff.

»What is your plan?« Jason asked and pointed at the brown leather uniform.

»Hunters wear it« she muttered as they sprinted downstairs. In the crowded hallway the noticed several guards between the colourful clothed people. Annabelle and Jason lowered their heads and shoved themselves through the crowd to the exit. As the people noticed their brown clothing they immediately moved aside so they could easily pass. They reached the streets and a dozen of men and women in white lingered around. The hunter uniforms served their purpose and it was like the guards saw through them. Internally Jason praised Annabelle for her idea and pulled her into a side alley. Several people in grey and beige stared at them and Annabelle recognised where they were. They no longer ran between the modern and glass made buildings but between the old houses in which the lower class of the folk lived. No guard patrolled here but Annabelle heard somebody calling for her.

»Annabelle« she heard the young voice.

She turned and saw Collin. Contemplatively he eyed her and wanted to follow them but a blond young man came out of nowhere and pulled him aside. Annabelle recognised him. She had flown with him as Elyas had pulled her out of the Peridon. His name she hadn't been told though. The blond stared her deep in the eyes before pulling Collin in the more safe streets. She couldn't put her gratitude into words as they went further in the unsafe streets. They turned around the corner and discovered the tower. Annabelle ran towards it as she crashed into a man. He was grinning at her scornfully. Rotten teeth blitzed through the withdrawn lips as he grabbed after her. Annabelle bundled all her power and treaded against his shin. Her toes were hurting as the man wheezed in pain and sank onto his knees. She dragged Jason down the street but they didn't notice any persecutors. The smeary guy still kneeled on the ground while a young boy came up to him. Swiftly they scurried through the door of the high tower and the scent of hay and freshly cut grass rises to their noses. Hay bales spread on both side of the stand on which many aviators slept. The eagles rested without any order and several startled as Jason and Annabelle worked their way through the plumage of the sleeping animals. The gaping hole on the city side let noises of the people come through and Annabelle noticed another hole through which a bright light shone. The sun was over the horizon and tinted the grassland and the fields into a rosy red. Annabelle goggled at how slowly the time had passed. She believed to have seen the sunrise only a few hours ago but the night had already passed. The traveller couldn't figure out how long they had been waiting for Maverick in the hearing room.