Chapter 85: Rollercoasters

Start from the beginning

But I can't change the past. I can only try to change the horrible things I know will happen in the future.

I almost laugh.

'Try'... As if trying will ever be enough.

We stay silent for another ten minutes, and it's Maxine that breaks through it.

"Here's the uh, the Victoria Monument, and the palace and the parade ground. Oh, you know, I haven't expected so many sandbags and burnt out cars and abandoned tanks."

"You should've seen how it looked in Washington D.C.," I say. "The only place around the area was the White House. There's about a mile parameter around it with no zoms. Everywhere else in the D.C. is flooded with undead, or it was, before I left."

"I thought you grew up in Arkansas."

"I did. It's just, well, it's complicated. But during the beginning of the apocalypse, I found myself around the D.C. area. That's how I got picked up and well... yeah." I ignore the curious look Maxine gives me, and instead head towards the gates that cuts us off from the massive palace ahead. It's clean, for the most part. There's a lot of blood on the outside walls, but I doubt King Jaime cares. From what I've been told, he hates living here, which is funny, seeing how many people would quite literally kill to live in a place like this.

"Let's get this gate open," Maxine says, effectively changing the subject. "Looks like someone ran into it with a truck... more than once." She grunts as we push the gate open, and with a laugh she says, "Sam was right. This was easy."

The blood drains from my face when I see the bushes rustle, and Maxine groans.

"If we make it back, don't tell him I said that."

We both gasp when zombies stumble out of the bushes, but it's not the zombies themselves that startle us; It's their uniforms-their red uniforms.

"Oh, my God," I mumble, and I immediately grab for my axe.

"Oi, you lot!" A female voice booms. "Head for the main doors! We'll block for you!"

"Get down!" Another voice yells, and we duck just as two woman speed by us, their arms locked, just barely missing our heads. They slam into the zombie, knocking it down, the force causing a few bones to snap. "The blonde one laughs. "Good work, Tasha!"

"Five, look! They're on rollerblades!" Maxine points out as the blonde spins around and skates back towards us, her gaze hard.

"And you're not, so get moving. You've got what's left of the guards and a few dead tourists with cameras behind you. Run!"

We take off, and I hear another girl speak. I spot her in the distance. She's the shortest one, although she herself is at least 5'8 without the skates adding to her height.

"If we block those two guards, we'll be clear to the doors. Even dead, those lads do their duty."

"That's not duty. That's hunger," The blonde says. "Sod off, lobster boy!"

Maxine grabs my hand and urges me to run faster, and I push myself forward as the rollerbladers dash around, distracting the zoms and knocking a lot of them down. They even manage to kill the some of tourist zoms.

We reach the main doors, but keep them open for the roller-girls to skate inside. They do, and we then shut the door and bar it. The blonde girl grabs my axe from me, and before I can comprehend what's she's done, she's holding it to my neck.

"Alright, state your business."

I glare at her. "Bitch, you better put that thing down, or so help me-"