Chapter 44: A Little Night Music

Thunder claps as raindrops hit my face. I'm shivering, but I keep quiet. I don't want to talk, not with who's listening.

"Alright. Raise the gates!" Sam yells, the alarm going off and the gates going up. "Let's get rolling. All clear, Runner Five?"

I don't answer. I simply dart off, and he coughs awkwardly.

"Yeah... follow the route marked out by the flags. Sorry about the weather, although I guess this makes it more of a test, right?"

Again, I say nothing.

"Right. Now I've gotta go over this with you one more time according to New Canton's instructions, so..." He pauses, and I can hear papers rustling. "'Runner Five, the purpose of this mission is to test your ability to preform under pressure in preparation for our joint attack on Comansys. Comansys are onboard a ship...' Well, yeah. You know that. Mission stuff. Mission stuff.

"'Abel has put you forward as their top runner,' because you are. 'You'll rendezvous with our top pick, as our most experienced and competent runner, Runner Thirteen, and together, you will undertake an assault course across a half completed building site. The high walls will make it difficult for you to maintain sight with your partner. It will be a test for your coms operator, as well.'"

He scoffs. "Well, that's charming, that is. I think Janine just agreed to do this because she's determined to show the Ministry we don't need another administrator. So, yeah, I'll be tested too; See if I'm right for the job."

"Hmm," I reply, goosebumps rising from the freezing cold rain. If I wasn't sickness immune, I'd worry about pneumonia.

"Oh, and Paula's still resting to recover from the blood cleansing and all that, as you know."

"Uh-huh."

"And um, you've picked up a few shamblers. Better shake them before you reach the first checkpoint. This New Canton Runner Thirteen will meet you there."

"Okay."

He sighs heavily. "So, that's how it's going to be then? One word answers? It's... it's been five days. How much longer are you going to keep this up?"

I don't answer.

"Come on, Five. I've been telling you for days that I didn't mean it like that, a-and if... if Alice... I wouldn't treat you-I wouldn't think of you like that. And I definitely don't think of you like that now."

I simply huff in reply, which causes Sam to sigh in defeat. Good. The man's lucky I didn't punch him when he came back to New Canton with Paula a few days ago. I didn't punch him because I was afraid I'd hurt him too badly. I still do care about him, even if he did hurt me deeply with what he did (and didn't) say.

I tried punching a wall yesterday, just to test my strength, but all that came from it was pain-a lot of pain. I think this new strength comes from adrenaline. Van Ark's treatments did something to me, and I think the adrenaline is what activates this, quote unquote, 'super strength'.

I think it is like that with Simon too-his speed, anyway. Adrenaline is what some call, your fight or flight instinct. Apparently, the treatments enhanced the 'fight' part of that for me, and the 'flight' part for Simon. So if I'm worked up enough from adrenaline and emotions, I can put a dent in metal.

At least, that's my theory.

But I can't test it too often. I don't want anyone knowing what I can now do. I don't... I'm already looked at a bit differently because of my age, and before I got my voice back, the fact that I was mute. Being the tiny, female, brunette version of 'Mr. Incredible' isn't something I want to be known for.