Chapter 50: Upside Down

"Runner Five, I'm sorry to keep you waiting," Albert says, which causes Sam to scoff in reply.

"Yeah, well is he also sorry he kept Maxine and Ed and Caleb and all our other people locked up here for months? And almost killed you all?"

"I've had our tech department rig up one of those little headsets for me too, Sam. It seemed like a sensible idea. There's no time to waste." He pauses. "And yes, I am sorry about Maxine. I'm sorry it's come to any of this. All I feel about any of this is sorry."

Sam huffs. "Yes, I'm sure."

The white haired man turns to me. "Listen, will you come with me? After we sank the Ariadne, we had to redistribute supplies and personal around the various vessels. Your Ed has been very helpful. He's the only mechanic we have onboard.

"Maxine is filling in Paula in on what we've been doing. I thought you might like to take a look at our operations and... well, I don't want to be grandiose, but people here rely on seeing my face. It makes them feel better. I was the first, you see."

"No, we don't see," Sam snaps, and my eyes widen at the irritation that's practically dripping from his voice. "You know we don't see. And we overheard Maxine when we were, you know, spying on you. She said someone was targeting Abel. If that's not you, then-"

"I will explain everything. Just come with me. We'll head up this gangplank and over to vessel nine. That's a scientific boat."

I purse my lips, wondering why the hell I'm putting any trust in this man. Why does he have to draw this out as if this is some mystery book or something? This is real life, in an apocalypse. We don't have time to act all mysterious and sneaky.

I start to follow him as he heads towards the gangplank, but then stop when I hear a sudden shout.

"Albert!"

I tense, my heart stopping in my chest. I know that voice.

I know that voice!

Albert turns, looking at the hallway on the deck from which the sound came from.

"Albert, what the hell happened?" A young man appears from the hallway, frantic, afraid, stumbling around. I breath in sharply, chest aching from holding my breath. "They woke me from cryo-sleep early to-to tell me you sunk the Ariadne. What happened? Is everyone okay? Was it D..."

His words stop when his blue eyes meet my brown ones, and his jaw drops.

"Oh, my God," He murmurs, and I let out a squeal and rush toward the redhead.

"Caleb!" I yell, basically slamming into him and wrapping my arms around him. "You're alive! You're-you're-you're okay!"

"F-Five," He gasps, shock still evident on his face. "How did you-what're you doing here?"

"She came to rescue you," Albert replies before I can, causing Caleb's face to scrunch up in confusion.

"Rescue me? Why would... oh." He looks at me with a frown. "You don't know yet."

"I was just about to explain to her and Sam why you're staying here willingly. You're welcome to join us if you like."

He nods, a grin crossing over his face. "Yeah, of course."

I let go of him, still making sure he's by my side as we follow Albert across the gangplank over to the science boat. My smile is wide and genuine. I can't believe it. Caleb's alive, and I thank God he's not like Albert. He's whole. He's alive. He's here.

"I never thought I'd see you again," I say, earning a raised brow from him. "Some of the people at Abel thought you were dead."

"I miss Abel," He admits, hands in his pockets. "I miss it a lot."