Chapter 85: Rollercoasters

Start from the beginning

"Haha. Funny."

"It's quiet for now, but that won't last," Sam says. "Keep up a good pace until you're sure you're safe. Off you go, I guess. Oh, and uh, bring something from the palace, would ya? An ashtray or something."

I scoff and raise a brow at him, even though I'm not sure if he can see it through the nearby cameras. "An ashtray? But you don't smoke."

"Fine, then. A pen, maybe? A mug? Oh, I don't know, a crown if there's one lying around..."

A smug look appears on my face. "Well, as Janine seems to think, I am incredibly good at finding things. And your wish is my command."

"So you've said these last few days. I'm beginning to wonder if you're trying to butter me up and get something from me with all these promises of gifts. I mean, saying you'd swing past the dinosaurs for me, even though I didn't get to see them, and now promising to steal a crown for me? What's your angle, Five?" He laughs slightly, but I simply shrug.

"No angle. I just like to get my favorite operator things from time to time." My voice remains surprisingly smooth as I say that, even though in all honesty I'd give him the world in a heartbeat if I could, instead of just simple gifts from time to time like I say.

"You flatter me."

"It's what I do best."

"Wow, way to sound arrogant," He jokes and I pause for a short moment, trying to think of a good response.

"I... like... to uh, think of myself as confident, but take it as you will, I guess."

"No, I-I was only joking," He stammers, sounding panicked. "I wasn't trying to... you're laughing. You were kidding with me, weren't you?"

"Do you two not know what radio silent means?" Janine snaps before I can reply, and Sam stammers an apology.

"Uh, yeah... sorry. Um, I guess I'll see you guys in a few? Turn your radios on when you get there, alright?"

"Will do, Sam," Maxine replies, before cutting the coms. I scowl at the silence, which prompts a scoff from the doctor.
"It's not that bad."

"I know. It's just... I know we're not supposed to joke around or whatever on missions, but..." I shrug, having a hard time finding the words, "it's Sam."

"Yeah." There's a pause. "You can't keep it from him forever, ya know. He's going to find out eventually."

I don't meet her eyes. "I know."

"I mean, he already knows you're into someone, and the only other guys you talk to somewhat regularly are Simon and Phil, both of which he knows are just your friends."

"I know," I say, agitation more evident in my tone. "But now isn't the time to talk about this. I can think about if and when I say anything to Sam about the subject after we've saved the world."

She nods, not saying anything for a good few minutes. "Yeah... And, Five, I know there isn't a lot of time to say this, but thank you."

I blink in both surprise and confusion, tipping my head to the side. "For what?"

"Everything. Whatever you expected when you boarded that helicopter for Abel, it can't have been this. And when I supervised your running training, I never thought you'd be saving our lives so many times."

"I just do what I know is right," I reply. I wish I would've done so while in America.

There's a lot of things I wish I would've done while in America. There's a lot of things I wish I hadn't done there too.