When the Shifting Ends

Tying his shoelaces, Austin took in a deep breath and tried to relax his shoulders as he blew it out. It had been nearly a year since he'd had Roh-Ahn in his arms. He'd worked, really hard and lots of overtime, to be able to afford the trip he was about to take. 

He'd thought that he would be able to manage it after one semester, but the apartment that he was renting had been condemned. He wasn't surprised, but it had left him hanging pretty badly. He'd stayed with another professor for a week or so while finding different place, but the rent had definitely been higher than what he'd wanted. He supposed he had just been lucky that the dump he had been in had been so cheap. 

At least he was proud of where he lived, and if things worked out, he'd be happy to welcome Roh-Ahn into his new home. And if things work out to where I can possibly stay over there, I'm only paying a month to month lease... 

The thought, though still up in the air since he hadn't even gotten on a plane yet, brought a big smile to his face as he stood up and grabbed his suitcase. 

"Only one way to find out." He told himself as he headed out the door to catch the cab he'd called ahead for. 

The ride was short, but it felt like forever before he was standing at the gate waiting for the plane to begin boarding. Deep breaths. He looked toward the giant windows showing the plane he would be getting on shortly right before his phone chimed with a text message. 

He fumbled for it, nearly dropping the thing before he managed to pull up the message and read it. "Hello Aus! Take care on your flight! I will see you when you land :D" The Korean was easy for him now, though he still got tripped up now and again. He had studied nearly every night and even gone to one of the local Korean restaurants where the staff were very fluent in it. It was a little awkward to ask for some lessons, and to be able to stay there for extended periods of time to learn more, but it had really helped. He'd also taken several classes in it when he wasn't teaching his own. 

Those chefs were pretty darn good, but I can't say they beat Roh's skills. I can't wait to taste his food again... and him. 

He knew that he was blushing a little but just shrugged it off and took in a calming breath as he looked down at his shoes, then back out at the plane. 

I'm coming, Roh. Just wait a little bit longer. 

Ten minutes later he was walking onto the plane. As he sat down, he couldn't manage to get himself to stop fidgeting. He'd only ever been on a plane when he was really little, and he didn't remember anything. His phone chimed again as the plane filled with people, reminding him to silence it, but not before he checked the message. 

"You got this! Fighting!" 

Without realizing it, he was crying. 

"Is everything alright, young man? Are you off to see your loved one?" An old woman who had sat down next to him asked with a warm smile. 

When Austin nodded and tucked his phone away, the woman replied. "She must be very eager to see you again, too, if what she said has you so emotional." 

He is. Austin corrected in his mind as he smiled at her, not wanting to bother with telling the woman who may or may not agree on the situation that was really not her business. 

As soon as the plane began taxiing he clicked his seatbelt into place and relaxed back into his chair. He'd be lying if he said that he wasn't extremely nervous, but as the plane started down the runway, he just squeezed his eyes shut and repeated Roh-Ahn's words in his head over and over until the horrible shaking stopped and they were thousands of feet above the ground.